iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fall Foliage

Started by SwampDonkey, October 08, 2006, 07:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Just thought I'de get a picture of the foliage before that last leaf drops.  ::)

Kind of a dull day, so I messed a bit with the colour saturation.  A sugar maple (left) and red maple (right). 8) Not all our red maples turn red or scarlet or mahogany, some just turn yellow or orange. And a tree that is orange this year, might be yellow the next.

On the bottom of the picture in the foreground are some yellow foliage of yellow birch I planted in September 2002. They are nearly 6 feet tall now. I'm waiting for my white oak to turn, it is simply out of this world when it turns crimson.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

This was at our camp middle of September.

SwampDonkey

The Forestry Forum CRASH OF 2007 ARCHIVES
Outdoor Topics => Outdoor Activities => Topic started by: SwampDonkey on October 05, 2007, 07:46:29 PM

Title: Ayers Lake Overlook Panoramic
Post by: SwampDonkey on October 05, 2007, 07:46:29 PM
This is Ayers Lake Unique Area, owned by J. D. Irving Limited, a N.B. owned forestry company.

View of Ayers Lake in Carleton and York Counties, NB. You can see (not in this photo) Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park of Maine, which is 70 miles away.

Another view to the north from the overlook. In this direction you can see Mars Hill in Maine (30 miles away). The hill with the windmills on it. It is the knob to the left of the one in the foreground. A better picture is posted below with a closeup of the hill. Other points of interest are the Oakland hills by Florenceville,NB just to the right of the (foreground knob) and Moose Mountain in Homesville, NB ( a little further to the right and just out of the picture frame. Both in Carleton County. Your looking at the southern fringe of the Appalachians of the region.

That hazy knob way off in the horizon and to the left of the spruce stand is Mars Hill. I could see the windmills with the naked eye, but binoculars are better. ;)

Another view to the south toward Nortondale and Millville, NB. The county line divides the lake in half in the top pic.

The area is mostly pristine and untouched by logging and encompasses, roughly 25 miles2 (~16500 acres)

Title: Re: Ayers Lake Overlook Panoramic
Post by: SwampDonkey on October 05, 2007, 08:28:05 PM
A closer view of the lake. Some estimate (more like speculate) the depth of the lake to be up to 200 feet deep. There is a 4 wheeler trail into the lake, but it is in rough shape from what I was told.

Danny_S, if you see this and want to go up there for a ride. Go across the river from Woodstock to Grafton , go straight on and follow the road through New Bridge, Nortondale, left to Hawkins Corner, then go left up toward Cloverdale and Hartland, the sign is on the left about 6.5 miles from Hawkins Corner (Map Page 60 of the DNR maps). You can complete the loop by coming back into the river to Hartland on the Pole Hill road and head south along the river road to Grafton. Don't forget to take a piece of notepaper and leave a note in the can under the concrete table at the overlook. ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

That hazy knob way off in the horizon and to the left of the spruce stand is Mars Hill. I could see the windmills with the naked eye, but binoculars are better.

Swamp I tried looking at the pic with binoculars , did not help any ... still could not see the wind mills .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well...........there's always the windmill thread. ;D

See'm now?  :D

Ron Scott

~Ron

sawguy21

I'm jealous. :D The colors in most of the west are not nearly as vivid.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

The colors are mostly gone here now, on the ground, except for the hard maple and beech along the main river valley. Looking like winter.  Saw 4 moose yesterday on the way to work though. ;D

Roxie

Those photos are breathtaking Ron!  Our foliage is in a similar stage as yours. 

Say when

isawlogs

Our black powder season is on, have a few of these that come out to one of the ground blinds.  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ken

As has been mentioned most of our color is gone now.  Looking much more like winter is upon us but at least now you can see in the bush.  Love going for walks now as you can see so much more about the structure of the forest.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

mart

We have some pretty nice Fall colors in Alaska but nothing to compare to the Northeast. I grew up in Northern New York and miss the Fall colors. Thanks for sharing the great pics.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Ron Scott

Tree stand views as the leaves fall.

~Ron

curdog

Me and my girlfriend went up on white oak mountain yesterday. The sumac was colored real good at the pull off. Did see some American Chestnut sprouts right below where we were standing, but I'm sure the blight will finish them off before too long.

SwampDonkey

Wow, what a different latitude makes. We would never see sumac up in the high hills, only along the river and pastures. Once I get a ways away from settlements and fields and deeper into the bush no sign of it.  If anything the shrubs would be mountain maple and striped maple up on hill tops and steep wooded slopes.  ;)

curdog

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 26, 2015, 03:40:04 PM
Wow, what a different latitude makes. We would never see sumac up in the high hills, only along the river and pastures. Once I get a ways away from settlements and fields and deeper into the bush no sign of it.  If anything the shrubs would be mountain maple and striped maple up on hill tops and steep wooded slopes.  ;)
That is about 3100 feet in elevation and one of the higher ridges in the county. We've got sumac all over. We are right on the border of striped maple with maybe a few scattered in some of the coves. We do have a handful of sugar maple on certain sites, and more than our share of red maple.

SwampDonkey

That's higher than our biggest mountain in all 3 Maritime provinces. Our highest peek is 2693 feet on Mount Carleton. And it is rocky on top with scrub and dwarfed trees. But we are in view of Mount Katahdin in Maine which is 5400 feet or so. Looks like a big volcanic cone with the side blasted out. ;)

At the capitol city here in NB, the river bed is 3 meters below sea level and it's 70 miles inland.

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 27, 2015, 03:58:45 AMAt the capitol city here in NB, the river bed is 3 meters below sea level and it's 70 miles inland.
Just a quick silly question.  How do they determine "sea level" in the Bay of Fundy??  We actually watched a tidal bore in Nova Scotia which was a very neat experience.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I always liked looking out over miles of ocean floor in low tide. ;D

Ron Scott

Early evening colors.

~Ron

Ron Scott

6 year old doe taken yesterday afternoon. Aged this morning at MDNR check station. Fall ground foliage makes tracking a little difficult so I was lucky for a good blood trail.

~Ron

Shotgun

Congrats, Ron.  You have some great game cam pics.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

beenthere

Nice take on the doe Ron.  smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Some good eat'n this winter.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!