iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things that get uncovered when rearranging

Started by Brian_Bailey, December 06, 2003, 07:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

A few years back, there was an article in one of the woodworking magazines that I get that really got a good grip on me .
It was a book shelf made to resemble a wood clamp, the kind that you use to squeeze the glue out of a joint ( no, not the smok'n kind! ).
After reading the article, I just had to make one! The shelf was fun to make so I made several more for Christmas gifts.
The nice thing about this shelf is its all made from scraps from other projects.
That was in "97".
Yesterday, my wife was rearranging the living room for this years Christmas decor and uncovered the buried shelf that I had kept for myself. I didn't have any pictures of the shelf for my picture album so I took a couple today and thought some would enjoy seeing it.

The woods used were black walnut, butternut, cherry, Maple, and red oak. All sawn and dried by me.
Here is another view with some long forgotten texts :D :D.

This view is a closeup of the screw.

Thanks for looking :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brian_Bailey

Hey Tom,  

That's an ancient chinese secret  :D, but this link will show you an easier way. Just be careful if you get the kit because you could get all screwed up and tapped out  :D :D :D!

http://www.bealltool.com/threader.htm
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

chet

Now dat's nice. Do you by chance still have the plan?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Brian_Bailey

Chet,  

The article was in Fine WoodWorking or American Woodworker mag. I can't remember which one nor can I remember the year, but it was on or before 97 because that's the year I put on the bottom of the shelf.

Tomorrow, I'll get my back copies out and see if I can find it for you.

Duane_Moore

8) thats  cool, ya guys make neat stuff, all I could show is a 2x4 that I bent a nail over in,  Duane 8)
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, Don'T be stingy with them plans ::) ;D ;D
  That's one neat shelf. I could trade ya a little Percky for some pre made parts for a couple of them shelves ;D ;) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Very nice Brian, I especially like your choice of woods.

Course you know your making the reast of us...well some of us, ok ok me look bad. All these years I had Patty convinced that popsickle sticks were the best wood to use.

EZ

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

SawInIt CA

Brian_Bailey

Hey Norm,  

How do you know that the wood in the pictures aren't really just popsickle sticks that have been digitally altered to look like what's in the pictures  :D :D ?  ;)

The article with plans was in the American Woodworker Mag. # 64 Feb. 1998 issue. If your interested in getting the plans you'll have to order them from the below link.

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/articles/adindex/main.html

It is listed under, bookends - bar clamp, 64:68, 64:69

ordering info is at the bottom of that page.

LSUNo1

Unbelievable, I have been looking for that magazine for the last few months, for that very same project. I started getting AWW in 97 and that project was in one of the first issues I got. Have always wanted to build it and was trying get around to it now. Thanks for posting it.

DanG

Hey LSU!  Congrats to your team for making it to the big game. Got yer tickets yet? ;D  8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brian_Bailey

LSUNo1, Your welcome and you'll enjoy making it.

It's projects like these that make it hard for me to toss scraps into the woodburner. Unless, they have a bent nail in them :), which at times is quite often. :D

Dugsaws

Doug

LSUNo1

DanG, no tickets yet, but I'm working on it! Course if they are gonna cost what I've heard they're gonna cost :o, I think I might just put the money toward a downpayment on a new WoodMizer instead.

Frank_Pender

Very nicely done, Brian.  8) 8) 8) 8) I tooo  have trouble keeping a nail straight when trying to put it into a pice of wood.  :-/  So, I got a nail gun and I still bend them suckers.  I also like your choice of woods.  Variety makes for some interesting constrasts.  
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Gus

Brian,
Very interesting design. Beautifully done. Thanks for the look.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

etat

Brian, it amazes me at the number of talented people around here.  Mostly I have to rearange when I'm hunting a tool or something I misplaced and mostly I find it sometimes later when I'm rearrangeing to hunt something else!  (does that make any sense?}
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!