iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LOOK OUT FRANK (here comes Tammy)

Started by neslrite, January 09, 2006, 08:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neslrite

I just book our big February Trip to Oregon and California for the family and I. We plan on going to SF for a day then off to visit Bailey's, the redwoods, Frank Pender, and then end up at the Oregon Logging Conference for a couple of days. 8)
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Tillaway

Stop in Eureka, CA on the way up... lots of good eats.  Tomaso's (sp) in Eureka is good Italian and so is Roys.  The brewery (North Coast Brewery I think) is good as well.  The Samoa Cookhouse is a great breakfast stop and be sure you are hungry, also check out their museum it is logging oriented actually the museum in Eureka is too.  Praire Creek Redwoods State park is the best place to visit the Redwoods IMHO.  The trail through the Redwoods to the beach is the best short park hike on the coast.  Requa Inn near Klamath Glen, CA is a great place to stay but really doesn't have much for the kids since there is no TV or phones, the food is great there too.   A couple of OK places to eat in Willits,CA and another good Italian next to 101 between Ukiah and Willits thats good as well (bring cash no credit cards accepted).  Healdsburg has good wine and lots of good places to eat as well.   Basically I have the food on the coast dialed in from Healdsburg Ca, to Astoria, OR so feel free to ask away.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Thank you Tillaway.   It is always nice to have a built in travel guide. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Tammy, are you going to be able to have a good supply of falling axes for the show?
Frank Pender

Ironwood

Absolutely go see the PALCO Lumber musuem in Scotia. Check out the footage of the 1964 flood WOW :o. Floods in the same scale of the redwoods.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawguy21

Tillaway, I was DANG glad to reach Eureka, 72 degrees and a nice ocean breeze, after 116 in Redding. That is a beautiful area but I think time stopped there in 1968. Some mighty strange folk hanging around.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

I can vouch for the brewery in Eureka....It's called Lost Coast Brewery.....Spent a few nights sittin' there waitin' for the boys to put together a load of redwood slabs for me.

Try the 8 Ball Porter smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Minnesota_boy

'Bout 10 years ago I stopped at a place to eat in Eureka, CA called Gil's by the Bay.  Had to turn toward the ocean on the south side of the PG&E plant and go west and south to the end of the road.  Good seafood.  Wonder if it's still there? ??? ???
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Frank_Pender

With all of these fantastic places to visit, Tammy, you and the family might want to extend the visit by a week or two. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

neslrite

Frank,
As always it is not interesting places to visit, but interesting places to EAT :o  Do they have pickled porcupine poo in Oregon?  BTW do you think they will let us carry axes on the plane ;)

Tillaway,
We saw the Made In America show about Tillamook cheese, Is the cheese factory worth a stop at?
Kevin

neslrite

That's not what I wrote.  I put  G. R. I. T. S. is there something wrong with my computer? ;D

Frank_Pender

Yes, I think the factory is a very interesting site.   It is not overly dramatic, but I think worth the time. 

The ax question on the plane, not sure of your clearance level.   I would ship beforehand.   I would like to have at least ten in the next week or two and another 15 or 20 for the show time. 

I will also get my ducks in a pen and order the PVs for the Logging Conference.  Should also have a couple Arky Specials, one for sale and another for show?
Frank Pender

Tillaway

The cheese factory is worth a look, I only go there with company.  Try the ice cream. ;D  If you are in the area check out the 3 capes drive. 

Burlcraft >Lost Coast, that's it... I always get it confused with North Coast which is in Fort Bragg, CA.  Eel River Brewery in Fortuna is good as well.

Minnesota_boy >Gil's... I never made it there but I have gone to three different ones on the bay that were all good.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Tillaway on January 10, 2006, 08:43:42 PM
Minnesota_boy >Gil's... I never made it there but I have gone to three different ones on the bay that were all good.

When you live as far inland as I do, seafood from anywhere alongside the ocean is a treat.  Gil's was a pretty special treat, though.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

beenthere

Just an opinion, but cheese companies are all much alike. If all the beautiful scenery gets boring, then the Cheese factory IMO. Otherwise, there is way too much to see for many miles of coast-line and inland through CA and OR time is short. Lots of thing unique to the left coast that the east coast doesn't have.
A year ago, managed to get to Crater Lake, Redwoods, some of the Coastline, 3-Sisters (had to detour for the dear wife when she found out we were within 400 miles of this quilting town  :) ), Mt. Shasta, Oregon Trail sites, and good to see the Roosevelt elk herds, if possible.  Some logging sites should be real interesting too, as well as some of the big sawmills.

Wanted to get by Franks, per his invitation, but some plan changes made it so it wouldn't work out. Bummer too. Another close friend in Corvallis, OR lost out on that trip as well. He hasn't forgiven me either.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

I forgive you, Beenthere, but you had better stop, next time. 8) ;D
Frank Pender

neslrite

beenthere,
Not going to the cheese factory, would that have anything to do with the fact that it is Oregon cheese, and not Wisconsin? I know how you guys from Wisconsin are ;D. I personally prefer Vermont cheese.

Frank Pender's place is on our must see list. Tammy is lucky we are flying, I won't be able to drag anything home.
Kevin

Quartlow

Quote from: neslrite on January 10, 2006, 10:18:56 PM
Frank Pender's place is on our must see list. Tammy is lucky we are flying, I won't be able to drag anything home.
Kevin

No but yo can ship it home!!!  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Frank_Pender

Well, Kevin, if you do not get here soon the whol place could be slid down the hill.  In the last 24 hours we hsave had 4 1/2" of rain, and it is till coming down in torents for the next three days. :'(

One part of the farm slid down hill, it was a 1/4 of an acre that moved with about three truckloads of logs at the same time. :'( :'(
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Sounds like part of your draw took off there Frank.  When those hit the creek we call that down woody debris recruitment.  ( tillaway runs out the back and hides ;D)

Frank_Pender

well, there will be some recruitment alright, about the latter part of August. :'(
Frank Pender

neslrite

Well we made it to the  west coast, saw the redwoods, Bailey's, SanFrancisco and a bunch of other neat things. We made it to the logging conference today saw Frank Pender, Lindsey from DandL, and beaverboy from Bailey's.
I will post losts of pics when we get back.
Kevin

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ernie_Edwards

Pete J

My Advice? Stay out that way another week. It's freezing cold and windy back here. Soak up that left coast sunshine while you can!

Thank You Sponsors!