iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HUSKY 455 ranch

Started by wolverine, January 12, 2009, 07:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverine

looking for some info on getting a little more speed out of one.  Cuts down fine but runs a little slower than my brothers.  We bought them both new, same shop same time.

L. Willey

his is probably running leaner.

John Mc

If double checking the tuning, as L. Willey suggested doesn't do the trick:

How old is your saw? Sometimes it takes a few tanks of gas for a saw to fully "wake up". Could that be the case here, or have you already run it quite a bit?

I can't remember if the 455 has a catalytic muffler on it or not. If it does, a muffler swap might help. (Catalytic mufflers have some nasty stuff inside. I would not try to gut it yourself unless you know what you are doing and take appropriate precautions.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

wolverine

My saw is 1 year old and used heavy

tyb525

I just got a 455 and I'm pretty sure it has a catalytic muffler, seeing how a lot of homeowner saws have them now. (The 455 really is a high end homeowner saw). I wasn't impressed compared to the 10 year old stihl 036 I have.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

weimedog

I don't believe the New 455's have "Cat" mufflers...and I'm certain mine does not. AND I'm certain the one I just ebay'ed and was delivered to my house doesn't. (Its going to hacked to see if a side exiting 3/4 inch dia "tube" is better that that top exiting stock deal)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

Runs slower or cuts slower, saws that are on the edge of burning down will really scream with no load but bog easy in the cut, give them a little more fuel
, they won't rev as high but not bog as easy and cut faster. Also you won't have to replace thr cylinder and piston the first time you get into a long hard cut.
  That's not to say that your's isn't set too rich which will make them cut slow also.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

outdoortype

The 455 does not have a catlytic converter style muffler.  It passes emissions with a strato charged motor- "X-torque" I believe they call it.  The only problem is that Husqvarna didn't publish the max "no load" rpms-making it difficult to tach.  Unless the saw is four stroking in the cut, I would lean more toward over lean H setting on the carb. Most of the modern saws are set pretty lean to pass emissions these days.

ladylake

That's right, lots of new saws come adjusted to lean and can't be ajusted richer without taking the limiter caps off.  Too lean, they bog easy and burn up fast.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!