iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I broke my mill

Started by Darrel, May 11, 2018, 11:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

It doesn't matter why one is in a hurry, haste makes waste. My mill has been at a neighbor's place and I decided that this afternoon was a good time to go get it because I have a job coming up on Monday.  Now about 10' away from the operator's end of the mill were 3 fire killed Pondarosa pines about 18" each DBH.  They have been dead for about 4 years and a stiff wind was blowing and one had broken off at ground level and was leaning hard on the other two and also leaning hard toward the mill.  All I could think was hook up quick and get. And the whole time I had my eye on that busted tree and was ready to run. I could see it leaning more and more and branches were breaking so after what felt like forever I was ready to pull out, but I'm sure it was only a few minutes. 

So I pulled out of harms way and did a quick walk around the mill and everything looked to be ok. But thinking about it now, I'm sure that my adrenaline was still flowing and my walk around was consequently a bit too hasty. I got in my truck and drove the half mile home. 

My wife was helping me put the carriage cover on and she says, "is this supposed to be crooked?"  My heart did a somersault in my chest and I looked where she was pointing. It is now quite evident that I had not opened the log clamp all the way.

Sheared off 3 of the 4 bolts on the rail side of the mill.

On the loading arm side of the mill, the bolts are larger and in slotted holes and it looks like there was enough wiggle room. I can't see that there was any major damage. 

This is what I saw coming in the driveway. 

However, da dawg is still happy. 

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Oh bummer I'm sorry to see this. I'm glad nothing major is broken. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Chuck White

WOW!  That is looks like a very simple fix!

Sometimes we get lucky!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

I don't know a thing about the stress you put on those bolts when working, but by the looks of them I'd say you caught a break by them breaking when you aren't relying on them, or standing real close.
Feeding cows a couple years ago, I lost a U-joint about 15' from my shop....I celebrated! :D
It's a good day when you get to turn wrenches inside a heated shop. ;D

scully

No big deal , should be a reasonably easy fix . I have ripped the front and rear legs clean off my mill and just put new bolts in . 
I bleed orange  .

Jim H

I did the same thing with the two plane clamp on my mill. Fixing it required a lot of heat and a little bending. ::)
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Skipper11A

Kudos to Woodmizer for a good design, I am really impressed!  Bolts should always shear off before something more dramatic happens.  The alternative story would have been really ugly.

Darrel

Yes, it could have been a whole lot worse if knuckle heads weren't taken into consideration during the engineering process. :D

I'll post pics of the repair. 
1992 LT40HD

Chuck White

Good to hear you got it back together, could have been a whole lot worse!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Darrel

Four 3/8 5" bolts hold the clamp to the rail side of the mill.  I had to use an easy-out on the lower two.

Rail side rebolted. The feed chain dried out a bit over the winter so time for a dose of ATF.

Loading arm side ready to go back together.

All back together. And don't forget the anti-seize grease. This bottle has been in my possession for about 40 years. But it still is good.

1992 LT40HD

Chuck White

I always put antiseize grease on any bolt or nut I remove from the mill, a little goes a long ways!

Every couple of years, I unbolt the square tube that the clamp rides on, just to clean the sawdust out of it!

slider

If you have had that bottle for 40 years you have not been using enough.
al glenn

Darrel

I only needed it about once a year and the 20 years I was a nurse I only needed it maybe once. But then I got my old mill about 4 years ago and I have used it way more than ever before. I was scraping the bottom to get enough today so will be getting more soon.
1992 LT40HD

LeeB

It does go a long ways. Put a dab on your elbow. By the end of the day you will be covered from head to toe.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

petefrom bearswamp

Well no bolts sheared but this happened.
After replacing the pan gasket on my mill I had issues with the contact strip for the hydraulics and inadvertently left the clamp 1/2 way out instead of the in position.
My mill has a 5" step up to the concrete pad and when I pulled the mill in this happened.
Removed the part and it is a local shop too

get straightened.
It is 1" steel.
Oh well, I need to cut firewood anyway.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Wow  good service.
The guy has my piece all straightened out.
$100 bucks and I'm be back in business.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Darrel

Maybe I am glad I have the old mill with the flip clamp. Sheared off four 3/8 X 5" bolts and only cost me $5.42. 
1992 LT40HD

Crusarius

just make sure you put the same grade bolts in there. :) 

Love to see ppl replace low grade bolts with high grade. Especially the ones that think they know better than the engineers who designed it.

Darrel

No lines on the bolt heads. 
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!