iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Numbers

Started by woodmills1, December 10, 2003, 05:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

When is 36 bd ft per hour better than 90 bd ft per hour?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Percy

I Know..I know....
When the 36 bdft is like Yellow Cedar or Clear cherry and the 90 bdft is like cottonwood or sumthin....
Howd I do??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodmills1

Ima thinkin your warm but......................... 36 bd ft of cherry would be much better than 36 bd ft of cottonwood right? :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

36 bdft an hour is better then 90 bdft an hour when you are getting paid by the hour and there is only 100 bdft of logs. ::)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

woodmills1

Good answer
Good answer

But survey says not the one I had in mind.

More like when I can cut 90 ft an hour of trailer decking at 80 cents, but only 36 ft an hour by quartering the same log at 2 bucks.  And man are those 2 by white oak boards heavy! :D

solidwoods

36bf per hr is better than 90bf an hr when you find a customer that would rather have the 36bf than the 90bf when they paid by the hr.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Frickman

We really don't keep track of what we saw per hour. Adam and I can saw 250 feet of blocking, or 150 feet of grade, and do better sawing the grade. Remember, it's not what you make, it's what you keep that is important.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Frank_Pender

When I can cut through a log and produce a 4 x 12  x 16' and have it returned and on the lumber platform in one minute. 8)  That equates to 64 board feet at $.230 per board foot $14.72 for that minute.  I produced 9 pieces in ten minutes, equaling $147.20.  Correct? :-/
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

Frank
Looks like this is what I get paid , "While Im sawing"

I get $20. for 7 x 9 x 8.8'' ..Im a bit slower than you Frank....
probably bout 5-10 minutes for the 4-8 cuts.....

(not counting the 3-4 side boards) 1x6x8  12bdft so add $3-$5

minus cost of logs for 580 bdft @ .18 cents it comes to ($104)
So that is ten ties at $20....$200
        40 1x6x8      $1.20......$48  total $248
                                         gross profit $144
     thats $2.40 a minute

(fuel, teeth and misc. bout $13 a day)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

anybody else have a comparison on average profit?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Can't comment on this thread. Wood's too valuable and we saw through & through. Get about 1000bd/ft in 4 hrs or so ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!