iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripping Chain review: Carlton on eBay vs Granberg??

Started by wkheathjr, March 01, 2012, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkheathjr

Need your feedback/opinion on ripping chainsaw I am planning to order for my chainsaw to use granbern alaskan chainsaw mill. 

The cost doesn't seem to be too much difference so I think it boils down to the quality of chain itself.  I am ready to mill few of my fell trees into posts soon!

T Welsh

wkheathjr,could you give us a link so we can compare apples to apples.Tim

wkheathjr

Sure T.Welsh,

Actually I learned since my first post that Carlton is now owned by Oregon and some are saying it stay sharper longer than Stihl chain?  I don't know..

Carlton link on eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Ripping-Chain-Husqvarna-61-65-66-70-77-A1EP-RP-72E-/310286351272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483e81fba8#ht_500wt_1204

Granberg:  http://granberg.com/product/38-pitch-050-gauge-ripping-chain

Sorry I don't have much to work with on Carlton but that was the best I could find on internet.  Thanks!

hamish

Granberg style chain has two different teeth, scoring and clearing teeth, look at an actual picture of it and you will see the difference, versus any other ripping chain or cutting chain.  It equates to alot more effort sharpening it for a negligible cleaner cut, although it does allow a few extra rpm in the cut.

Carleton or Oregon ripping chain, each cutter has the same geometry and angles, much esaier for up keep, and works just the same.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

wkheathjr

GARose

Granberg chain does not make a big enough difference to justify the pricey cost.

burdman_22

I've tried Granberg chains twice, and in my opinion they are a total waste of money. Saw seemed to cut slower through the log, and I only got half the number of cuts before it needed sharpening. I've also tried hyperskip chains, and they too seem like a waste of money. I like the woodland pro ripping chains from Baileys, I have never used any Oregon brand chains.

smoked

2nd on the woodland pro from Baileys.  Easy to sharpen with a 2-in 1 file.  Give it a brush every other tank of fuel and they cut good.  
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Thank You Sponsors!