iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most Unusual Object Found In a Saw Log

Started by prittgers, June 21, 2014, 02:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prittgers

What is the most unusual item you encountered in a saw log?  For me, it was a glass telephone line insulator.  Even a Woodmizer would not cut that one!
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

hacknchop

Hit a 4"stone in the crotch of an oak log bent the mandrel on a mobile dimension mill! !
Often wrong never indoubt

Tony

Milled 4,000bf of ERC a few years back, hit 1 marble :o :o :o :o :o

Tony    8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

mesquite buckeye

Bunch of bullets, nails and a complete pan trap with 4 foot of chain. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAB

My dad hit a ceramic electrical insulator in a log once.  Dulled every tooth of the chain.
In logs, with the sawmill, I have hit ant nests, nails, bullets, barb wire, and I did saw a 1/2" lagbolt in the third or fourth pass sawing 1" boards.
I have also hit the first log stop three times.
Ah-yup, I have scrapped a few blades.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Den Socling

I used to be a consultant for a company that cut logs from the vicinity of strip mines. There were all kinds of glass insulators and tramp metal in them. They had this big old circle saw with a magnetic starter. When they hit something, carbide would fly. Everybody would duck and wait, wait for the blade to stop spinning. There were holes in the roof above the blade. Anyway, I put a electronic starter with a brake on it in short order. That crap can be dangerous.

dutchman

Nice piece of red oak from Clarion County.About 26" dia.
Tried to open 3 faces, first face hit metal about 1 ft in,
second face thinner slab, in about 18" hit metal,
third face about 1 ft in same problem.
Chainsawed 2 ft off the end found iron stain, Railroad spikes.
Someone must of had a tree stand in that tree and used sipke
for climbing up.

mrector

I did not hit this with the saw but found it while pressure washing a log. It was buried in a Doty place in the crotch of a 30" maple.. it was a hot wheels car.. late 60's model vette.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

dboyt

I was milling at a customer's site and struck a big piece of metal.  I rolled the log off the mill, changed the blade, and loaded the next log.  Out of curiosity, the customer cut the metal out with his chain saw, and produced an ax head, exclaiming, "I've always wondered where I left that!"

I've also milled into cement.  Seems years ago a lot of people thought it was a good idea to fill hollow trees with cement.  That will destroy a blade in no time.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Banjo picker

Bumper Jack.   Used to tighten a line for drying clothes. Some how. I cut it off.  Should have taken a pic.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LittleJohn

Quote from: GAB on June 22, 2014, 01:41:58 PM
...I have also hit the first log stop three times...

How hasn't, hit one of those!!

Mostly bullets, a few barb wires, a shot gun slug. 
I once missed an actual metal fence post; someone must have leaned the post against the tree and it grew around it. Luckily I was sawing slabs 2.5" thick slabs and got some awful blue stain, put on heavily abused blade to remove slab from log (in case, I didn't cut deep enough), luckily missed dug out post later.

Dave Shepard

Found a 'possum living in a log on the log deck. But I am not sure it should ever really been called a saw log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I am sure that most of you have seen my T fence post that was ~45' up the tree.

The customer gave me the block as a souvenir.

The tree was felled across a fence which drove the post into the tree.  The post broke off below the bark when the tree length log was skidded out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Mikey
If that Hot Wheel was one manufactured in the late 60's with redlines on the tires and in good shape you could sell for good money!  Amazing what some of those old redline Hot Wheels will go for.

Bogue Chitto

Cutting a sinker cypress.  Out comes a snake.

mesquite buckeye

We get scorpions and lizards wintering inside our mesquite logs. Sometimes hundreds of them. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Nomad

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on June 26, 2014, 11:19:10 AM
We get scorpions and lizards wintering inside our mesquite logs. Sometimes hundreds of them. :snowball:

That's not unusual.  Around here, if there's a hole in a log there's gonna be some kind of livestock living in it. :D  It's usually something I'd rather not grab, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

reswire

I cut down a large maple on my property that was planted in about 1910.  In the middle of the log was a 3 foot long piece of metal, about 3 inches across.   It was probably placed there to keep the tree growing straight, and the tree simply grew around the metal.  When we cut down the tree, it stopped a brand new 660 stihl dead in it's tracks.   Blew the cylinder head I was told.  we did get some really pretty boards out of the log, of course after cutting around the chunk of steel.  One old guy who lives by me, said the metal was a leaf spring off of an old ford.  Who knows??? ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

DR_Buck

I found half a mouse in a log once.  I went back and checked the previous board and found the other half.    :D   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ohsoloco

I've hit all sorts of tramp metal, ceramic insulators, etc.  The most unusual one was when I was cutting a backyard walnut and when I opened up a void in the log I saw something brightly colored.  At first I thought it was some funky mold or fungus, but it turned out to be a plastic Easter egg with the remains of a chocolate candy in it.  I went to school with this customer's kids, so I knew it was in there for quite a few years. 

Dave Shepard

Quote from: DR_Buck on June 29, 2014, 09:17:58 PM
I found half a mouse in a log once.  I went back and checked the previous board and found the other half.    :D   

Wasn't it you that found the 70 mph half-ants?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Scott

• A piece of railroad iron
    • An outdoor light fixture
    • The head from a broad head axe
~Ron

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on February 22, 2001, 01:01:28 PM
Golf ball, horseshoe, woodduck eggs, skilsaw blade, crosscut saw blade hung from a nail grown in length wise, arrowheads, length of 3/8 welded chain, length of pipe, 6 inch rock grown in the base of a beech tree( that saw became a slasher blade),saw shank (they pull on one rev and you hit it on the next!) are a few of the things I can think of off hand I have hit. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bert

Saw you tomorrow!

hacknchop

I was sawing big white pine yrs ago for a customer when i hit something he told me just lead from a bullet didnt hurt the stellite tipped teeth at all kept sawing more bullets than bang, hit the nail used to put the target up.
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!