iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fair market price for recycled timbers

Started by acer, November 05, 2005, 08:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acer

Hello everyone! My name is James and I'm new to the fourm.

I have a friend in southeastern Ohio who recently got into tearing down barns. I'm trying to broker a deal on some oak timbers that he has to a timber framer down here in Georgia. I hope to score a few timbers and some barn siding out of the deal but I have no idea what the going rate for hand hewn timbers would be.
He said he has a guy in West Virginia that offered him $8 a linear foot for timbers and $1 per square foot for the siding. That sounds kinda low to me.

If anyone knows where I can get a general idea what all this wood is worth I would greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Welcome Acer.

That stuff is based purely on local demand.   You name your price and see if someone bites. 

There is a market for it in metropolitan areas of N. Florida and the money is good.  There are farmers burning old barns just north of us in Georgia to get the "trash" out of the way.  :)

beenthere

Welcome to the forum Acer.

"Worth" is a tough one as it depends. To me, its 'worth' is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Maybe some members 'know' of some higher prices somewhere, but shipping might be a controlling factor as to their worth.

Stick around for a good time.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

solodan

Ask what you feel it's worth. recycled timbers have character and history.
I recycle redwood when i can. The redwood sold these days is garbage compared to the old growth stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!