iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BURL advice wanted.

Started by ANMAN, March 14, 2006, 05:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANMAN

smiley_chop When the swamp was frozen and I had some time, I went burl hunting.  I got nice bunch from a smooth bark hickory, and another big burl off some kind of tree, maybe oak :)  Already hit up the anchorseal on the ends after the pictures were taken because I read on the forums they dry funny and crack.  The big burl/tree section is too heavy to pick up so I had to roll them up a plank ::) and the smaller burls came from the same tree and I threw them on the wagon.

Now I am debating whether to sell them or saw them on my Timber Harvester and then sell the lumber... If I did, I wouldn't really know what dimensions, strategies, and drying procedures I should do. 

I'd glady take any advice/offers  ;D   

Den Socling

If you have no experience sawing or drying a burl, I would think that you want to sell most pieces whole and wet. However, I would cut and try to dry a couple to get the experience to make the burl worth more money. Foe the next time.... ;D

treecyclers

In my experience, burls are most sought after by turners, and the most highly figured stuff for veneers and pen turning stock.
I get burls frequently, and depending on their size and dimensions, I either slice them up into turning blocks, or I leave them whole and sealed, and sell them that way.
I have yet to see a large burl dry without cracking, even when sealed, so that's something to keep in mind as well.
Take a shot at doing both, and if there's anyone else that has other ways of doing it, let's hear it!
SD
President
Treecyclers, LLC
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Den Socling

Welcome to the forum, recyler, I mean treecycler!

You may find this thread interesting. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14752.0

Thank You Sponsors!