iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whatzit in Tom's yard?

Started by Tom, March 19, 2009, 08:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

WDH

The margins are revolute.  I am thinking live oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Yer right, but only on the surface.  I'm showcasing what is on the twig.  ;D

Mooseherder

The leaves look like Laurel Oak. ???

Tom

It's live oak, mooseherder.  what else is on the twig?

Mooseherder

Looks like shredded coconut husk. :D

I got a Live oak up front.  Maybe I got summa dat stuff on it. ;D

Getting the flashlight. :D

Mooseherder

My tree doesn't have that. :(
But it has this. ;D

Dodgy Loner

Insect galls: Abnormal growths caused by wasps injecting specific chemicals into the tree's stems.  The wasps lay their eggs in these growths, which protect the eggs as they develop.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

If that is a gall, I'm really amazed. It looks so much like a plant "organ".  So much that I thought it might be some kind of female flower of the live oak.   I'll try to get a better picture of it.    I've never seen this on any tree but a live oak or "scrub oak".   It has a feathery look like a carnation but tear shaped.   I'm going to shotgun "galls" and see if I can find something similar.  Wow!  a gall!  Who'd a figured?

SwampDonkey

Yeah as Dodgy said, a gall. That would be some kinda funky oak flower. It's possible it got into a flower bud maybe, or two or a dozen or more.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

In my yard red oak, they tend to hit a leaf bud and forms an almost translucent ball.  We get spruce gall midge to and it will turn a vegetative bud into what looks like a thorny cone.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!