iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 Part ?? Siding attachment for mill & Is pine a good choice for house siding?

Started by Piston, May 18, 2015, 11:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Wis

We sided a new house with board on board white  pine . of coarse that is put on vertically not horizontally like you are planning. We used solid color latex stain and like  Bandmiller  recomended we painted the back side before we put it up. actually we painted  both sides before we put it up. Several people had recommended that we do it that way. Acts like a built in vapor barrier. paint has held real well. Got some knots bleeding thru, but that just adds to the character of the job. If you would decide to buy rather than use your own, I would recommend Smart siding. Not sure if that the correct name, but it looks like chipboard from the back and has wood grain embossed on the outside. But if you have trees and a mill why would you go to the lumberyard?
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Dad2FourWI

Hey Ox,

QuoteWhy is this, Dad2?

The OneTime stain is light "sensitive" for curing - so we actually stained the boards in the barn (out of the sun) and then washed very carefully each time... no problem, the skin washed right up.

But... if you allow the stain on your skin to contact the sunlight (and cure) then it could burn and basically you are stuck with a "nice tan" for quite a while!!!  :D :D

I _really_ like the product!!!! I would encourage any/all to look at OneTime for staining!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Piston

Ironically, a friend of mine was just telling me about that "LP Smartsiding" yesterday when I was discussing this same topic with him.  I don't know a whole lot anything about it, but I'll look more into it as an option.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ox

Dad2 - Thanks for the reply and info.  Sometimes it boggles my mind what mankind is capable of, invention-wise.
Maybe you just found your own niche!
"Guaranteed tan for half the cost of a tanning bed store."  Your results may vary.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Planman1954

I used SYP on my barn about 5 years ago. I painted it with exterior flat paint. It still looks good today:

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Piston

Quote from: Planman1954 on May 20, 2015, 07:19:35 PM
I used SYP on my barn about 5 years ago. I painted it with exterior flat paint. It still looks good today:

Looks good Planman, any pictures of it now?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

porcupine

Quote from: Piston on May 19, 2015, 10:32:29 AM
Quote from: porcupine on May 19, 2015, 09:59:06 AM
You make cant's from logs. Remove cant place elsewhere. Set up attachment, Cant placed back on SLR attachment. Make a cut, swing SLR lever, cut......flip can't over. Cut .......

Porcupine, thanks for the comments!  I have a question, when you say "flip cant over" do you mean just rotate it a slight amount, to put the taper in/out?  Or do you actually have to flip the cant over each time?????
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
After a series of cuts you will reach the pith at that time 180 degree rotation is necessary.

Dave, thanks for the info, I will go 100% heartwood based on your experience/knowledge.  I have some large pines with a lot of heartwood, and although I absolutely hate to mill them into tiny little boards for siding, I'll do so and get a lot of boards out of each log. 
(I can't stand sawing up a perfectly straight large diameter pine into something other than a giant beam) :D
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

barbender

I've used the WM lapsider jig, and I also made an "ArkyResaw" a couple years back. Hands down I would use the Arky jig again over the lapsider. To use the Arky jig, you just saw out your material, say 1"x8" (I sawed mine 5/4, that was too thick unless you are planing it first). Then you can just dead stack it, or sticker it to let it dry. Once you have all your material sawn, you attach your Arky jig, set the bevel angle, and resaw all the boards in half. You would have way higher production using the Arky jig, and no lifting cants around. It's fast to feed boards through, one person pushing, one pulling out the other end.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

BTW, you chain your head in place and feed the boards through the Arky jig.
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

The tilt and shim technique as per plannman works well. But I will say, it helps to have hydraulics to tilt and un-tilt the cant. I have put siding on 2 buildings using siding cut from pine logs using this method.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Planman1954

Ok, I just went outside and snapped a picture of the barn. I hope the pic shows right side up. The last one I put on here was upside down since I took it with my iPad!

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

tmarch

That's too fancy for a barn, cottage is more like it.  I like the decoration (can't spell cupulo) on top a lot. 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ga Mtn Man

Other than the thickness issue of having two full-thickness boards lapped over each other, what is the advantage of beveled siding vs. flat?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ox

You can really stretch the amount of siding available from the same log.  I liken it to taking a 1.5" x 6" board and milling it down the length of the board, diagonally through two opposite corners, making 2 long, skinny triangles as you look directly at the end of the board.  Your dimensions may vary.  ;)
I guess you could say you can double the amount of siding this way vs. straight boards.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Larry

If beveled siding is made with a rabbet on the thick edge it lays flat on the structure. It also adds some shear strength.

Flat siding and beveled siding without a rabbet leave a gap behind.  Little strength is added.  It also cups easier. 

All three methods cost and look different.  As always a balancing act as to which is the best product.  One may be the perfect solution for a garden shed and not so good on a different structure.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Piston

-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!