iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden piston with wooden connecting rod

Started by hackberry jake, April 03, 2012, 01:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

My brothers birthday is a couple months away and I would like to make him something neat. I was thinking a replica of a small block Chevy piston and connecting rod that actually actuates. I have cherry, maple, walnut, osage orange, sycamore, and cedar to work with. I know I can make the face and outside of the piston on the lathe, but how would you remove the material inside the piston and shape the connecting rod? Chisels and sandpaper sound time consuming and a router seems like it would be too bulky.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Migal

Dang congrats on your brothers birthday!!! I think that is a wonderful idea only can think of my friend that builds miniature steam engines with a lathe. he bought his on ebay good luck!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Ianab

Sounds like an interesting challenge  :)

The con rod is easy enough.

As for the piston.... That's more interesting.

I would consider making it a laminated construction. The bottom skirt, the part with the gudgeon pin, the ring grooves, then the actual top of the piston. This would let you cut out the inside form, and sand it smooth etc relatively easily. Get the holes, face and bulge for the gudgeon pin made etc Then glue the 4 or 5 pieces together and finish the outside perfectly round with the lathe.

Alternatively you could make it up with the laminations running vertical? Again shape the internal structure before assembly, and turn it round later.

Then a larger dowel though the piston to connect the con rod.

Look at how wood turners make segmented turnings for some ideas.

A little rotary tool (ie dremel) with a sanding head is good for those fiddly inside sanding jobs.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

vertical would allow the gudgeon pin mound to be formed before the turning.  Seems like it would make it easier, also allow some mix of woods for a "woody" effect.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don_Papenburg

Laminating is the way . get a book on patternmaking for foundry work . Very interesting wood working  there.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!