iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cordless saw?

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 23, 2017, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anyone out there have experience with these?
I would like to get a small saw I dont have to pull to start for my mill which is far from any power source.
I have a small 18v Ryobi I got with a set of tools that is so weak that as a friend used to say wont pull a settin hen off her nest.
I also tried the circular saw i got with this set and it too is too weak to do the job.
I know Stihl has one but it is pricey.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

M18 Fuel 7 1/4" is awesome. The other brands are catching up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chainsaw10

I have several, I use them for carving almost daily. I actually am expecting a UPS delivery today of Makitas new release 36v brushless saw.
I have a Stihl 200 and 160 battery saws and two husqvarna 536lixp saws. These are all excellent but very pricey.  The Stihls and huskys have seen several years of almost daily use and have been flawless

A good budget battery saw is the Kobalt (lowes 80v). Great saws but only 2ah batteries are available...so not much run time. But if you only need it for trimming this and that it's a good choice. This 80v Kobalt is a rebranded greenworks 80v. green works has higher capacity batteries but then the things get expensive.   Saws are the same but you can't interchange batteries unfortunately.

I tried the ryobi 40v and it was junk. I tried 2 echo 58v saws, both got returned because power cuts out intermittently when using, every few seconds. I also tried and returned the EGO saw.....absolute junk.

The Dewalt 40v has awesome power and runtime. But twice I purchased this saw and after about 4 hours of use the the bar/chain oilers failed. They got returned also. These Dewalt 40v saws are the best battery saw on the market in my opinion.....if it wasn't for the oiler failure problem. If I knew the oiler problem was resolved I would love to have one of these in my arsenal.

I can give my initial impressions of the makita later today.

weimedog

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 23, 2017, 07:51:46 AM
Anyone out there have experience with these?
I would like to get a small saw I dont have to pull to start for my mill which is far from any power source.
I have a small 18v Ryobi I got with a set of tools that is so weak that as a friend used to say wont pull a settin hen off her nest.
I also tried the circular saw i got with this set and it too is too weak to do the job.
I know Stihl has one but it is pricey.

You ever try an "Elasto start" Stihl? Don't have to "snap" pull the cord....just pull it as if you are lifting, it coils a spring; at the end of the travel, the spring is tripped spinning the saw to start. A Elasto Start ms210 or ms250 might be what your looking for. Of course since folks see the pull cord, they yank at them like a normal saw and break them..:)

The Husqvarna "electric" saw seems to have the same kind of power as the 540. Buy a few batteries and switch them in like adding fuel to a normal saw. Looks to me like they are a legitimate saw.

https://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/Electric-Battery-Powered-Chainsaws/Husqvarna-Electric-Battery-Powered-Chainsaws/Husqvarna-536-LiXP-Battery-Powered-Chainsaw-966729174.axd
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Dave Shepard

Pete, I thought you wanted a cordless circ saw, I didn't read closely enough. Sorry, we've been using and talking about cordless circ saws at work lately.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I have a 40 volt brushless Ryobi that I am very pleased with.  It was refurbished from the Tool Store.

I mostly use it for trail clearing and around the house.  I have never run the battery down.

Here is another thread from earlier this week:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

thanks all,
Magicman, pretty saw, ugly guy is that Sasquatch?
Maybe a sighting will be in August in Harrison.
Thanks for the link
Dave a circ would do as I use it to cut the shorts from logs with sweep.
Chainsaw, runtime is not a big issue as I only have to use it for perhaps 1/2 hr per day.
weimedog, I dont want to pull at all if i can help it.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

HolmenTree

I own a battery saw with 2 batteries and charger. Now I'm looking at getting the available blower now that I already have the batteries and charger.
Lots of other tools available that share the same battery.
Battery power looks like the future for the outdoor power products .

Stihl has 7 different tools and counting in their Lithium Ion series.
Check out the cool TSA 230 Cut off saw video.

https://youtu.be/FctmBu6BAhI

https://youtu.be/4mpfKJDDibs
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

petefrom bearswamp

Well after 4 months with my DeWalt I am not happy.
Run time is OK but as far as "gas power guaranteed" it sucks.
It works OK if kept vertically but I cannot keep the chain tight when trying to plunge or cut up.
And i made a vertical scabbard for my Kubota RTV and when riding around my woods it works loose.
Also a pain to re apply the chain to the saw.
The tightener ratchets before the bar is properly tightened IMO.
Called where I bought it and was told too late to return.
I am thinking of protesting on my Discover card.
I have 6 months on this recourse.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Another fiasco.
Bought an Echo 58V at Home Depot 3 weeks ago.
Very positive bar tightener, 2 bolt tightener  and cuts great.
Run time better than DeWalt.
Battery wouldn't charge properly, they sent me a new one.
Still wouldn't charge sent me a new charger.
Charger works OK but now the trigger interlock wont allow the trigger throttle to engage.
Called Echo, guy told me to take it to Home Depot rental section, and they would send it out for repair if it wasnt my fault.
Told him I only had it 3 weeks and he said would take 5 6 weeks to get repaired and to take it back. Going back today.
Checked Home depot site and they no longer sell this saw in their stores and is out of stock on line.
Hmmm?
Been stepping over dollars to save dimes on this.
think I will use the DeWalt and live with the shortcomings unless I hit the lottery and then try a Stihl or Husky.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Don P

The timberframe crew at work has been using the battery powered Stihl a lot for notching and fine tuning notches on the log barn project we're working on. It has run many hours now. It has done so well my partner got one a week or so ago.

Thank You Sponsors!