iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood burning stove glass

Started by tstex, January 08, 2010, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Howdy Gentlemen,

Hope you are all staying warm.

The glass in the door of my Dutch-Vermont woodburning stove has some hazing to the lower part of it.  It is not real bad, but I was wondering if this is permenantly etched into the glass, or is there a way/treatment to remove it?

Thank you very much,
tstex

Woodwalker

By hazing, do you mean the soot from the fire on the inside of the glass? If so, build your fire close to the glass, the flame will clean it off.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

tstex

W-Walker,

Thx for your reply.  No this is not soot...I burn very hard and aged oak that burns blue and the temp gets to 1400-1500F.  This is in the inside and it almost has a light-blue cloudy tint.  I have used some cleanser, water and paper towel and it removes any and all soot and even removes the haze, but when it dries, it comes back.  Does this make sense?

Thank you,
tstex

beenthere

tstex
Is this a Vermont Castings Dutch West ?

I have the VC Defiant, and have no problem getting the glass clean. I have found that Simple Green with some ashes (right, from the ash pan) and a paper towel cleans the glass quite well. It comes with a tint in it, so it is not like seeing through window glass.

(Reminder: Need to get the order in to Mike to get some cleaner from him to try. :)  )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tstex

Beenthere,

Yes, very good.  It is a VC Dutchwest Model 2461...best thing I added to this old 1949 farmhouse when I did a 700sqft addition.  I burn this very, very hard aged oak and it looks like coal when it is all embers.  Only thing better was my newlywed bride 14 yrs ago, but she doesn't put out near the BTU's as she used to, unless it is accompanied w/ a lot of steam.   :D   :D   

I will check into the simple green...I think this is now somehow etched into the glass...it is not real noticeable, but I notice it.  :-\

tstex

Magicman

Sometimes vinegar will remove glass stains.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chris Burchfield

Years ago, we had gas heaters to heat the three bays of a fire station. For some reason, they were not vented. Someone figured there was enough air exchange around the bay doors. We'd wash down the equipment and the bay floors. Used shames to dry the equipment. The windows would develop an etch. We found the only thing to remove it was heavy duty rubbing compound, red in color. I think it may have been a Turtle Wax product. I does take elbow grease.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Larry

The glass on my VC Defiant has some etching on the lower glass...I didn't think it possible to clean it off.  Maybe I wasn't trying hard nuff.

BTW my stove must be going on 20 and still going strong.   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bitternut

My Vermont Castings Intrepid stove had two panes of glass with a gasket between them. Sometimes the gasket would get slid around and not seal properly. Every time that happened my glass would get sooted up slightly on the inside of the panes. Maybe that is what is happening with your stove. Might want to see if you have two panes or a single pane.

beenthere

bitternut
Are you saying you have two panes? Like sandwiched, or one on each door?

Curious, that is all.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bitternut

Yep, each pane was two pieces of glass sandwiched together with a gasket between them. The gasket was a light colored fiber glass type material with a wire inside that was formed to match the contour of the pane. My Lopi stove has a solid single pane.

beenthere

My Defiant has a single pane too. That is enough "pane" for me.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

tstex

My WB stove has two doors, but only one of the doors has a single pane glass...I might call the place where i bought the WB Stove and see what they say about the cloudy glass.  I will try the suggestions here in conjunction with placing the call and post back...thx for the suggestions.

Be safe,
tstex

Thank You Sponsors!