iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air drying   6X8 lumber for post and beam/log home

Started by JimMartin9999, May 27, 2004, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMartin9999

I plan on building a post and beam frame with log infills between the posts. From hemlock which I will fall and mill on my land. My question deals with solar drying.  I want to dry  the 6x8 ´s for a  year before starting-- to reduce settling or shrinking problems.  the posts won´t shrink but the log infills will.
Is there any serious flaw with the following:
I´ll mill, sticker, and stack the 6x8x (up to 35 foot) lumber. Build a temporary greenhouse, kiln, around it , facing south.  Leave an opening at the bottom of the front and at the top of the back, end coat the lumber with sealer and then leave it from  September till next summer when I will start the building.
See any problem here?
I have never done anything like this and would appreciate any advice you have.
Jim
Jim

Jim_Rogers

Jim:
You might consider posting the same question under the dry and processing section and see what they have to say, over there.
In another thread in this section a builder said he was planning on 1 1/2" of shrinkage from a log home he has just finished. If you don't plan on some type of slip form at the top of each wall for this type of shrinkage you'll have some serious gaps at the top of the wall. Also these logs will have to have some type of slip form at the posts to allow each one of them to move downward with shrinkage of the one below it.
I'm sorry I can't give you any advice other than this.
Good luck with your project.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

slowzuki

I think you'll find the 6x8 will only be partly (ie much less than half) dried at the end of the year.  It takes a long time to dry with sealed ends.

You may be better off planning for the shrinkage and allowing some way to seal as the infill settles.

w_w_w_31

Hey Jim, have you done anything about your build?  I am in the planning process of my project, and it sounds like I am thinking very similarly as you.  I am wanting to do about 8" x 6" dovetail log cabin.  I have been thinking about sawing my logs just to get them with 4 sides, seal the ends, stack and sticker them for a while, and then possibly put them through a solar kiln for a while to possibly set the sap.  After they dry for a while, then final saw them to have a more uniform size based on drying.

I would love to do a timber frame roof structure, but have not figured out how to combine the two together yet.  I have a lot of time though, as I have yet to find the piece of land that will be the build site.  I am just in the dreaming and planning phase, and everything will be designed around the land we end up with.

dave
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency

Thank You Sponsors!