iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kasco blades

Started by goose63, May 05, 2016, 11:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug olsen

Good day to you Kasba
Just wondering if you get your blades States side or out of Toronto and if you don't mind what is OUR cost.
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

fishfighter

Quote from: Kasba on June 02, 2016, 11:01:23 PM
I have been amazed at how good of quality their blades are. I usually get about 1/2 day out of a blade and the Kasco's I am averaging almost 2 days.... Wow is all I can say.

Not as good, but I saw a improvement on more BF of lumber coming off one blade. Almost double, sawing oak. Then again, I was using 10 degree blades before and got 7 degree blades from Kasco. Would love to try some 4 degree blades just to see if any difference in speed.

As for as resharping, At there cost for me at $16.66 a blade, I will just order new blades and when I get around 100 blades saved, I will buy a resharpener. ;D

Kasba

Quote from: doug olsen on June 03, 2016, 01:40:07 AM
Good day to you Kasba
Just wondering if you get your blades States side or out of Toronto and if you don't mind what is OUR cost.
I did get them out of Toronto but on my first order they didn't charge me freight and they have a sales rep that comes to the island frequently that will bring me my order. I think I paid just under 20 a blade for 1 1/4" x 144" 7 degree. I am very pleased with them.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

bkaimwood

Quote from: bkaimwood on June 02, 2016, 08:04:52 PM
Does kasco have a comparable blade to a 7/39 turbo?
Anyone??
bk

Ga Mtn Man

They don't have one now, but there may be one in the not-to-distant future...rumor has it.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

caveman

It looks to me like Kasco  has the blade to beat.  I was given three of them at Jake's latest project but have yet to try them.  The wood I have sawn recently has been crap and I would like to give them a level playing field when comparing them to the Wood-mizer blades that we have on hand.  Hopefully,, in the not so distant future, someone will bring some decent logs to us that they need sawn and we can give a report on how they do. 
Caveman
Caveman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: 69bronco on June 02, 2016, 08:18:31 PM
Does Kasco offer a sharpening service, similar to re sharp? Looked on there site, can't seem to figure that out.
I don't believe Kasco offers sharpening services themselves, but I know at least some of their distributors do (see reply #8 of this thread). :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Mt406

Just got a box of kasco blades before starting this big job I am on. (15000 bd ft )
Its bug kill lodge pole lots of sap it was drug to the deck with a skidder so theirs dirt in the checks.
I have mixed revues.
There was a WM blade on the mill when I started, it cut may be 1000 bd ft  it was getting dull wavey cut at the knots.
put on a Kasco  5-6 hrs  it brakes maybe 600 bd ft.
Another new Kasco 3 cuts later I hit a knot on the return. I will claim it operator error.
New blade this one lasts 4.5 hr and 550 bd ft.
Both broke in the gullet first blade had a crack about 6in away from the brake also in the gullet.
Both blades were just turning at the end of the mill wile I was off loading.
My speed is slow because I am working alone off loading and stacking.
Called the dealer here, He said he knows nothing about Kasco blades.
he added that my mill wouldn't run 7s well.
I have a new LT35 Hyd 25hp
he recommended running the WM blades all I have are the 10s so put one on 1300 bd ft still going and 7.5 hrs
I did find my drive belt was lose down to 10-11 lb. alinement appears to be good. I did adjust the inside roller to the 1/16 recommend.

Any ideas of what broke the Kasco blades. Maybe I got a bad box?????

Thanks for any input

Scott   

derhntr

Knock on wood in 10 years I have never broken a WM blade. But I have always bought new ones and have never had any resharpened. But at the cost of blade now days I am looking for someone local to sharpen for me. Yeah MM I know about the resharp program :D
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

OffGrid973

New John Deere = Owner Edition Hat
New Woodmizer = New hat (not branded as owner edition, possible opportunity WM)

Box of Kasco blades =  ???  Could be a game changer :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Chuck White

Scott, are you disengaging the blade when you exit the far end of the log and gig back to the front?

Your blades will last longer if they flex less!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

derhntr

I always shut the blade off when gigging back, WM tech told me that when I bought the mill. Might be why I have never broken a band. Having said that. I am willing to bet I will break one. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Mt406

I normally do not shut the blade down when I gig back maybe I should start doing that.
I talked to kasco before heading out to the job they would like me to run another blade or two if I have the same problem stop they want the blade sent back to them for testing.
Derek was really good about it wants to help me figure out what might be going on also

Bruno of NH

I have a 13 hp mill and I run 7's and have no problems spruce , hemlock , pine , red oak , ash and maple .
That 25 hp woodmizer should cut great with them 7's
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

caveman

One of the Kasco blades the was given to me to try back in April at Jake's white oak sawing project was finally used today.  It sawed well and will get to saw some more tomorrow.  With a new 7° blade in a bald cypress 12" cant, we could saw a 10' 1"x12" in 17 seconds.  That seemed pretty good to me with an LT-28 with a 25 hp Kohler.  The 1"x12" 's that we were getting a couple of logs later were taking 22 seconds to saw.  So far, I am impressed with this blade.
Caveman
Caveman

ozarkgem

Quote from: caveman on July 16, 2016, 08:29:19 PM
One of the Kasco blades the was given to me to try back in April at Jake's white oak sawing project was finally used today.  It sawed well and will get to saw some more tomorrow.  With a new 7° blade in a bald cypress 12" cant, we could saw a 10' 1"x12" in 17 seconds.  That seemed pretty good to me with an LT-28 with a 25 hp Kohler.  The 1"x12" 's that we were getting a couple of logs later were taking 22 seconds to saw.  So far, I am impressed with this blade.
Caveman
Took me 23 sec to saw 1x12 x 8'6" Sycamore. 20 Hp electric. New Cooks blade.
I would say you are doing pretty good.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

caveman

As long as the sawdust chute is kept clean, cypress does cut like hot butter.  We did not push it quite that hard on every cut but this cant was clear, clean and we just wanted to see what the blade would do.  We have only used 10° and 4° blades previously.  The 7° Kasco has done well so far.
Caveman
Caveman

ozarkgem

I could push mine a little harder but the electric clutch slipped. Since it is obsolete I backed off. I don't want to retro fit  some new clutch.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

caveman

A fellow and his son brought us some live oak "logs" to saw into slabs and boards last week.  These things were gnarly and had been lying around for quite some time.  I would have burned them but he wanted them sawn, even after I suggested he select some of the better oak logs we have for free and just pay us to cut them up to his specifications.

The Kasco 4° band that was given to me at CustomSawyer's project was put to the test.  Live Oak is hard and when the logs are not fresh, it is ridiculously hard.  The bark is thick and holds debris really well.  None of these traits leads to blades maintaining sharpness or promotes longevity.  The cuts were very high quality for a few "logs" and then the blade suddenly dove about a half inch.  We drove in a wedge and backed the blade out, spun the log end for end and finished the cut.  We continued using the blade to finish out the order but cut really slow to maintain a straight cut.  There were a few times I saw sparks coming off the blade when entering the cut occasionally and the sawdust left on the cant was very fine.  We really did not want to dull another blade to finish what little we had left to saw.

Based on the sample blades from Kasco that we have used, I am impressed with the cut quality.  I do appreciate Kasco's continued support of The Forestry Forum.
Caveman
Caveman

roger 4400

Was using Simmons blades before, changed for Kasco 10 degrees, 3/4 , 161 in. on my Baker 18D 20 hp engine, worked very well, cut some pine slabs 26 in. wide  ( full mouth on my mill ) the cuts were nice and straight and cut like butter. Very very small deflection after hard knots. The blades cost me $21 canadian and were shipped from the USA, they did not had the 161 in. on stock near Montreal. I do recommend them ( you have to buy a full box (15 blades).
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Quebecnewf

I too have been eyeing up those blades for a try. When I buy my next box they will be Kasco I think.

Quebecnewf

Lee smith

Quote from: Kasba on June 04, 2016, 08:32:36 PM
Good day to you Kasba
I did get them out of Toronto but on my first order they didn't charge me freight and they have a sales rep that comes to the island frequently that will bring me my order. I think I paid just under 20 a blade for 1 1/4" x 144" 7 degree. I am very pleased with them.
Where are you from Kasba when you say island

Rodman

Quote from: Lee smith on December 06, 2017, 09:36:41 PM
Quote from: Kasba on June 04, 2016, 08:32:36 PM
Good day to you Kasba
Where are you from Kasba when you say island
Lee, Kasba ( my brother ) is from Victoria BC Canada. On the southern tip of Vancouver Island of the west coast. Me i'm in south eastern BC

Quebecnewf

Bought some Kasco blades earlier this summer. Was more than pleased with the price and performance . Paid around 22.00 with delivery . delivery into my region is always a big add on to the cost.

Been trying them out during the summer. Sawing clean softwood. They cut very well hold a good edge and sharpen up good again.

Next order will be Kasco once again.

Quebecnewf

Crossroads

Anyone know if they make a 177" band for the LT40 wide?  Like the #4 blades I've been using, but wouldn't mind having some 10's in hand for cutting cedar.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!