iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boundary Line Paint ??

Started by g_man, February 25, 2010, 12:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I want to repaint my boundary lines this spring.
What is a good paint to use?
I see that Nelson makes a special Boundary
Line Paint but I would have to send for it and
the shipping costs as much as the paint.
Is it worth it or is there a commonly available
paint that is useable? I have over a mile that
I want to paint.

Magicman

The right thing  to do is to use the right paint which would be what you are looking at.  A "survey grade" tree marking paint.  It is designed for that use and should last the longest.

That being said, personally, I don't always do the right thing.  I go to my local hardware/paint store and look through their mis-formulated  exterior house paints.  Especially if they happen to have a red, I just get them to squirt more red into it.  It generally cost about $5 per gallon.  I have very visible lines that were painted 15 years ago.

There is another thread going (Dressing up property lines) about painting property lines that has good information in it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42312.0.html
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Is there a code about what differnt marks mean?
I have X's, slashes, O's, and combinations of the such as a X with either one of 2 slashes under it. Mine was marked by Bowater so I'm not sure if that's their code or if there is a universal one.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

poor farmer/logger

We just use the roles of ribbon to mark the outer edges of stands that we're going into to cut. Cheap and works fine. 10 and 15 years later the ribons are still there. Usually use a bright orange. When I'm on the skidder I can usually pick them out without much trouble.

Guess if your worried about someone taking off the ribons then it wouldn't work. We use a wood paint as well for makring species of trees at the mill. Think it's about 2.50 or 3.00 a can. if you buy it in case lots. it's made in canada though. Our local dealer has it here. Nelson tree and log paint it's called.

Just a thought for ya.

Ryan

downeast

We use tape also--blue works well though it is dark on cloudy days.
Paint---any oil based bright color to fill in blazes. Lobstermen use florescent colors ( sorry Canadians, "colours") on buoys. It lasts in saltwater a long time. I've used closeout paints at the local hardware store, cheap.

Chuck White

As MM said!  Go to the hardware store and look at paints that got screwed up when they were being mixed.
These can usually be had for $5.00 - $10.00 per gallon.
I would use enamel as opposed to latex!

edit:  you should be able to have them mix and make a bright color out of one of their mistakes.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I use fire red paint on my lines, Tremclad is the brand. It lasts a long time. I tried paint in a can from Nelson and it doesn't hold up and it's not very bright. I apply by brush on the old marks. You guys are lucky to get cheep reject paint, they charge the same for the mistakes as they do the other around here. :D I'm going to re apply this spring before thinning season gets going and before flies and leaves come out. ;D The lines are still easy to see down, but I'm going to paint them just the same. ;D My front and back lines never need marking, road and USA border. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Whats on the border? A fence?

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

A 66 foot wide corridor they keep brushed out. No fences of any kind, never was. Has monuments every 1000 yards or so. They just went through last summer again cutting it out. If you've seen my snow sled videos, they show the cleared corridor.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

We always use Nelson's boundary line paint for marking permanent boundary lines, but their "econo-paint" for marking trees for cutting which has a shorter retention span (2-3 years) and is much cheaper than the more permanernt boundary marking paint. It depends upon how long that you want the paint to last on the trees as to the quality paint that you use.

~Ron

pappy19

If you want it to last, then get the Nelson's Boundary paint. I like their pink or white. It lasts a very long time and it's made in the USA.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

woodtroll

We have had good luck with Nelson's. You may think about blazing with an axe also. The scar can last long after the paint fades. There is no code that is universal. We happen to put 3 strips so it is visible from a ways of. Flagging is good for temporary. Deer and elk like it, people pull it down and so on.

Make sure the line is in with flagging, then follow up with paint (and axe if you want blazes).
It is forestry improvement keep track of the expense and use it for tax purpose. Lines are not the spot I would be cheep.

indiaxman1

I have found both flags and paint fade with time....orange or pink ribbons show up nice for several years, but fade white.....orange paint also fades with time....I mark 1/4 section...80 acres rough ground every two-three years...prefer flagging

JimMartin9999

I use an adze to blaze.  It is a lot more accurate and easier to use than an ax.  The edge is perpendicular to the swing rather than parallel as with the swing of an ax.  The blazes last as a scar forever.  Keep them at the same height, which is the easiest height to swing at.
   I ground out a roofing tool to form my own adze ; a lot cheaper than a true adze.  If you go back a couple of weeks later and apply paint  when the sap dries, you get the best of all worlds.
Jim

chevytaHOE5674

I use Nelson boundary paint. Lasts a good number of years and isn't that expensive.

Ron Scott

Nelson's is also a Michigan product and treats forester's well. Ribbon can also be easily removed by trespassers and more difficult in court cases when the judge asks if the boundary line was "permanently marked". ;)
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Funny, my Nelson paint says "Made In Canada at Sault Ste Marie, Ontario". :D

I've always bought it at the local Marketing Board office. This isn't boundary paint, just happens to be the only can I have. I used it for marking log ends when I scaled wood on sight inspections.

chevytaHOE5674

Nelson has like 4 plants across the country. But their corporate headquarters is in Kingsford MI, that's where I road trip when I need paint.

Ron Scott

http://www.nelsonpaint.com/history.html

Charlie Nelson, the founder was very active in forestry matters here in Michigan until his passing. He and his sales personnel always listened to us foresters in matters and ways to improve their products. They invented the paintball and initiated the paintball into a sport. Paintballs are now one of their main sales product.

I still have a calculater with the Nelson's Paint Company name on it which Charlie Nelson gave me years ago. He and most of his sale personnel that I knew well have since passed on.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Ah, now I see says the blind man.  ;)

Magicman

We ran out of paint Saturday while refreshing property lines.  I went by my Ace Hardware store this afternoon, and look what he had.  A gallon of exterior paint and just the right color colour...... ;D   I have found that latex paints work well for me.  If there is moisture on the tree, it doesn't matter.

Can't beat the price.....$5.00

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Looks good! Do you apply it with a brush or paint gun?
~Ron

Magicman

Brush.  I even get a little on the tree..... :D

240b

highway marking paint, with lead if you can find it.. lasts 30+ years.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but trees grow and shed bark. ;D My last paint on my lines was in 2000 or 2001. They aren't faded but them little trees out grow the paint and if you put it off you soon loose sight of the lines. :D  I'll probably trim out some brush first with my brush saw. It's pretty well cleaned out but suckers come back, got just the tool, no bending. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!