iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st Day of Revenue

Started by boonesyard, March 09, 2019, 07:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Don't forget T fence posts.  This one was driven into a SYP log about 45' from the butt and broken off beneath the bark.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Bartley

Quote from: boonesyard on March 09, 2019, 07:19:21 PM
I can't get over how deep some of the wire, nails and screw are under the bark and how deep it can go, crazy.
Congratulations on getting started .... and on not giving up on your first day ! :)   Urban salvage has to be one of the most frustrating jobs you could take on.
As far as "deep" in the log .... here's a quickie story ...
I live in a an underpopulated area of the the North. A few years ago a friend and I took on a tree removal job for a friend with a cottage on a northern lake.  We took out 14 old growth Spruces, running 30"+ at the butt, and got 42 saw logs, 10-1/2' long each. I sawed them for myself and did 4/4 boards all the way around the logs, down to an 8" cant.  I needed a few 4"x4"s, so I split one of the 8" cants in half .... and dead centre in that first cant was a nail.  The angle that is was driven into the log suggests it was put there to hang something on.   When the tree I was cutting was young enough for someone to drive a nail into the pith, the ONLY people with nails in that wilderness were gold prospectors ..... and the prospector that hung his wet clothes to dry on that nail cost me a band !!  That nail had been there 100+ years....  If you want to know where that tree came from, look up Watabeag Lake, Ontario.
Keep having fun !!
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

terrifictimbersllc

I hit this musket ball with the Peterson chain slabber. It was put into a sycamore tree in about 1860.

>
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

boonesyard

MM

I've got a log tong we don't use at all, I'm going to convert it to a MM Special, thanks for the pic.

I know the trash in the trees cost us $$, but I find it very interesting the variety, age and wondering why and when the metal is there. 

I haven't seen a lot of damaged blades compared to you guys, but the pic of the one I  posted seemed rare. Looks like the same thing happened to TtS. Ours was also stuck fast and we had to chain saw it out. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

boonesyard

Soooo, realistically, how much damage to a blade can be repaired? If there are a few teeth 50% buffed off, is it toast? Do you send in your damaged blades with the dull blades and just let Resharp decide which ones to replace. I know the shark toothed blade is a goner, just wondering how much it too much?
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Magicman

Realistically it may seem that we are constantly hitting metal but in actuality, not so much.  Unusual pictures are good for conversation for many years.  :D

I have several metal detectors but they are for my customer's use if they want to scan to possibly avoid a metal strike and save themselves $25.  I don't scan logs because I would then be spending my time scanning instead of sawing.  Maybe harsh, but they are the customer's logs and the customer's nails.

I no longer send metal strike blades back to Resharp.  They have become compromised and will/might leave tooth tracks so I won't saw another customer's logs with a previous customer's damaged blades.  He paid me $25 for it so it goes into the junk bin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

That's about what I thought. I hadn't planned on sending any of my metal strike blades back. Why pay for shipping on something that will just be replaced. 

I've worked out, what I believe to be a fair deal, with the customer regarding metal strikes. I will be ordering a Dcoil type metal detector tomorrow to scan logs prior to sawing, at least for this job. I have the good fortune of having my dad work with me, he's soon to be 84 and in great shape physically and mentally. As a matter of fact, he still drives our tractor trailer occasionally. I figured the DOT physical doctor would take care of whether he could drive or not, but he just passed another one with flying colors thumbs-up. Sorry, I digress. Anywho, he really likes hanging around the mill and looks forward to things like scanning for metal. Should save us a few $$s.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

WV Sawmiller

I'm with MM on the metal checking and strikes. Leave that responsibility on the customer. If you scan, miss deep metal then ruin a blade it's your blade. If he scans and misses one its his blade. Why take on unnecessary risk?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I don't save nail hit blades, Some jobs you hit a lot.

40 bad ones here. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I have saved many boxes of reject blades with the thought of using them as reinforcement steel in the next concrete pour that I do.  Probably the only thing wrong with that idea is ever pouring concrete again!!    :o   What could I be thinking??   ::)      

boonesyard

Hmmm,

Saw blades, saw teeth, tying it up, might be interesting. We pour a lot of concrete. I'd love to see the engineer's look when they see our guys tying up sawblades in a slab or wall  :D.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Magicman

I doubt that it would ever meet any engineer's spec.  The blade sides would sorta thin the concrete "thickness" by one inch whichever way it was turned, but in my instance, there is never an engineer and I always pour too think anyway.  ::)

Leigh Family Farm

Congratulations on your first paid gig! I hope you learn a ton, make some money, and get a repeat customer in the end. 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!