iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your wood-hauling truck

Started by JuniperBoss, January 28, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

The trailer is great for delivering but some places can be tough/tight to get into with one. 
It's when it's muddy or slick out the trailer can be fun.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Old Greenhorn

Certainly not in a league with what I see posted here, but I work a small 15 acre woodlot with tight steep skid trails. Just wood for the sawmill and my neighbor and I's heat needs. I burn about 6 cords a year and mill lumber for our use. I drag the logs to the splitter or the mill and split as close to the stack point as possible. It's amazing what that little Mule will pull. Very little trouble with an 1,800 pound log, even on the hills.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Pulphook

Ditto for tough terrain harvesting --Honda Foreman with trailer ( Subaru axle ). It works in this hilly, rocky woodlot. Just plenty of humping butts onto the trailer, sometimes noodling for less weight, then to piles for Spring splitting and stacking. Locals call the land here "bony". Even hard on a skidder when the lot was professionally cut in 2000.
No trucks, only a couple of years old Subarus. :(
P.S. How difficult is it to get pics up ?
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Old Greenhorn

Go to the front page of the forum and scroll to the bottom. You will find instructions there. Worked easy for me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jimbarry

mike_belben

jim are those red highsides just painted planks dropped in the track?  How much wood can you haul in that tossed in loose without losing any on a bad road?  8ft bed?

I think im gonna have to build a rub rail and 4x4 stake sides to get a loose cord onto an 8ft bed.
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

Its just painted 2x12 poplar planks. 2ft sides are not enough for a dumped in cord so I throw in 2 sheets of plywood when needed. 8ft bed. Stacked in, you can fit 1.5 cord but you need plywood in the rear as well. Just pull it out when ready to dump. Sides would have to be 5.5 feet high to get 2 cord tossed but that would never happen anyway because the truck would be overweight. It weighs 9040lbs with the dump, and the chassis is only rated for 12000lbs.

hedgerow

Like to see the pictures of those one ton dump trucks. Years ago[ 1985}  I bought a 75 Chevy one ton a lawn service had used with a bad engine. I put a new GM 350 in it. Truck had a 8x10 steel dump box with swing up pipe framed with wire mesh sides. Used it for years when I was selling fire wood. Handy truck. I quite sell wood in the mid 2000's sold it to a friends son that was starting a lawn service they used it up until a couple of years ago it got wrecked when a guy ran a red light. We overloaded the truck a lot over the years and it just took it. 

overclocking

Klunker

Here is my firewood hauler, compact and maneuverable in the woods, needs no trails to get around.
Simple but effective.

It pulls a 20cu ft trailer that I load with 16" pieces.
Straight to the splitter than stacked under the lean too for 2 years.

thecfarm

Klunker,don't need to cut many roads to get that through the woods. ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cedarquist treefarm

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 28, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
Why not have a thread where we show all of our firewood-hauling trucks. Pickups, dump trucks, atvs, you name it. Tips on how you make pickup racks and how you haul your wood is all good too. So, what do you got?
Most of my firewood hauling is right here on my farm. I find that a bulk box on the three point forks works well. As we often get deep snow here in SW Michigan, having the weight on the rear wheels of the Massey really helps. Using firewood tongs to unload saves my back. My set up often allows me to get closer to the cutting location, minimizing handling time. At some future point I would like to have a second box on front loader forks with a front wheel driver loader tractor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Don P

My chevy's in the shop but it didn't stop the old folks from keeping the heat rolling so back to the honey hole where I pushed up some locust last year

That's the other Don's 76 chevy mudder, 450 hp, lockers, full roll cage in the cab and frame mounted roll bar in the back, top and front winches, pulling his dump trailer... fastest truck in da woods :D

Magicman

Our firewood hauling was done in two trailers this past week.

About ¾ cord in the small trailer.

And a bit over 1¼ cords here on the large trailer.  All Cherrybark Red Oak.  The family that it was delivered to was very surprised and very appreciative.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wudman

For quick trips here on the farm, I use a carry all on the rear forks on the tractor.

Notice that rear tire squatting?  That's compliments of a fat pine branch that wedged in between the rim and bead on that load.  There's a tube in there so it will be off to the tire dealer tomorrow......and it's loaded.  If it went through the bead, that may spell bad news.  The way I abuse this tractor, maybe I should just go on and foam fill them.

The rack will hold about 1/4 cord.  I'll take it down to the stove and just drop it.  With green wood, I can't fill it to capacity.  The front end of the tractor goes skyward.  With seasoned wood, I can fill it up.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sawguy21

I was going to ask about that, the steering would be pretty light. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Wudman

For this load I upsized my forwarder a bit.  That is a 5000 Ford pulling a 5 ton trailer.  In my opinion, the 5000 was one of the most versatile tractors ever built.  That is just north of 2 cords from a white oak blow down.  It looked like a huge bush with multiple leaders about 15 feet up the stem.  I had to split a few rounds with the splitting hammer to be able to pick up.  They will be broken down further with my big box store splitter.  I still have the butt of the tree to recover.  It will be another full load yet.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

GRANITEstateMP

Wudman,

We have a Ford 7000 on the farm.  It was the first NEW tractor my Father in law ever bought.  It is hooked up to the mixer wagon for most of the year. Sometime in late December or so it'll get to rest for a few months, being 2wd and all, the ice can be an  issue trying to pull a loaded mixer wagon up a hill to the barn!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Wudman

The 5000 was the first new tractor that my Dad bought when he started farming full time himself.  It is a 1965 model year.  It was a big tractor in its day, before the Big Johns started showing up in the neighborhood.  It is still a good machine and is used regularly.  As far as that goes, it is the newest tractor in operation on the farm.  We have a 135 Massey (1965 model) that was purchased used in 1972, a 1960 Fordson Dexta that I bought about 20 years ago, and then we have some old stuff like a '48 Farmall Super A and a '54 Farmall 100.  It is all used in a small tobacco operation. 

Wudman
Charlie Daniels

square1

This setup hauls 2/3 of a cord out of my very hilly terrain all winter long.  A 2" ball hitch has been welded to the back of the trailer now for towing the hydro splitter. When the trailer is full, this old man is done for the day. The saw caddy will sit on the trailer tongue when the 53' Ford Jubilee without front end loader is chained up and used as the tow vehicle. The  little 1700 diesel 4x4 is far preferable on the hills though.

hedgerow

I pushed a lot of snow with a Ford 4000 diesel with loader and chains in the 70's the small town I grew up in had bought it new and when they got a new white with front wheel assist and a loader. My mom bought the ford to use around the truck stop we had. It was a step up as we were pushing with a Ford 8 N with loader and a B JD with a three point blade. In later years she had pickups and a dump truck with a blade and the tractors just set. A buddy bought the 4000 and still has it today on his acreage. Those old ford's are good tractors. I just got started with JD on my farm dealer is close for parts. 

TKehl

Took the kids and the baby 'Bota out last week.  Can't load it as heavy as pulling it with the bigger stuff, but the ground was soft and the little Kubota 13HP B1550 leaves a light footprint.  ;)  

Mostly Honey Locust and some hung up very dry Elm leaners.  Plus a small Black Walnut branch that had blown out of a tree.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

GRANITEstateMP

TKehl,

Is one of your little one's reading instructions???  I think I'm almost at the point where my kids gonna be able to do that and point out even more of my mistakes  ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

The Men folk is running around with t shirts and shorts and the Women folk have heavy coats on. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

My kids are weather confused.  One of the girls was recently outside with a t-shirt, sandals, and insulated overalls...   :)

I don't argue if they say they don't need a coat anymore, I just send them out to wait for me about 5 minutes before we go.  Most of the time they decide dad was right.  ;D

They are reading instructions, to a card game...  Couldn't get them to play pick up sticks...., at least not very long...

However, they are learning to question dad for sure.  They were bickering with each other, so got in on their game of "first one to ____  wins."  Challenged them to see who could run over and bring me their age worth of Hedge apples from a tree 50 yards away first.  Then they asked me why I wanted them.  I told them I didn't, I just wanted a few moments of relative quiet.  ;) :D  Later I told them first to touch the Poison Ivy wins.  "Why aren't you guys going for it?  You all are right there, you could win!"  "Uh, dad, it's poison.  Winning isn't that important."  "You all are smart kids!"  LOL   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!