iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It just don't never fail!

Started by DanG, June 24, 2005, 11:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

When ya meet a ForestryForum member for the first time, it always just seems to go extremely well.  Such was the case this afternoon, when Brdmkr, AKA Mike, came for a visit.  We been PM'n and playin' phone tag for the better part of a week now, since he made his presence known hereabouts, and we found out that we is neighbors.  We had set up a tentative meet for today, dependin' on my schedule.  Well, it worked out that I was free, so he drove down from the frigid environment of extreme Southern Georgia, to my nice, warm cubbyhole in extreme Northern Florida.  Once we got him thawed out, he turned out to be a pretty nice guy.  As I said before, I could smell his impending purchase of a sawmill in the air.  I weren't wrong.  He's gonna buy something, and SOON!  I'm trying to get him to wait until October, when he can see all the mills working at Moultrie, but I don't know if I can hold him back. :o

We talked for a while and kinda got to know one another, and I showed him around a little. We looked at some wood I have stacked about and fed the dogs, then I showed him some stuff about the mill.  When I asked, "Ya wanta saw some lumber?", he said "Yeah" so quick it almost startled me. :D :D  I had laid out a little 8'x22" yeller pine log for us to play with.  Mike had to lay hands upon a Logrite cant hook to help get it on the forks of The Hootiemobile.  Just as I was approaching the mill with it, the DanG log rolled off the forks.  Mike just grinned and said, "I was hoping it would do that so I could use this thing again."  ;D :D

Now this log was perfectly straight and clear, but only 8' long, so we cut as many 2x4's out of it as we could.  Ended up with 18 2x4s and one heart-centered 4x4, along with a few 1x4s and more than enough stickers to stack the pile with.  After I had cut a few boards, I turned the controls over to Mike, and he made a few boards of his own.  I made sure that the first one he cut went into the back of his truck.  I think that made him glad. :)

We sat and talked a bit more after that, till he had to head back to the cold North.  I didn't happen to have any peas on hand but offered him some watermelon.  He seemed tempted, but left without being compensated for all his cant hook and off-bearing work. Except for his very first board, of course. ;D ;) :) :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mometal77

Sounds like a dan gee good of a time..
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Fla._Deadheader

I KNOW ya own a camera .  ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Ya busted me on that one, Harold. :-[  I know, though, that I ain't the only one that ever got so caught up in tha visitin' that I forgot to take pics.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CHARLIE

I'm surprised that you haven't kept some generic cans of peas on hand just for such an unexpected occasion.  Next time Tom comes over your way, have him bring you one of his cases of peas. I think he gets a good deal on them. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

rebocardo

Yep, meeting members is always enjoyable.

tnlogger

wal i see how ya are caught with yer peas out but then the board made up fer it  ;D
I guess i'll have to wait on moultie tosee ya but yer never know  :)
gene

Fraxinus

"Cold North", eh?  I'm here to tell you that it's 95 and hummid here for the second day in a row :( :(  Wouldn't bother me none to knock off 15 or 20 degrees from that.
I got a few FF neighbors here but ain't met any of them yet.  wiam and SpruceBunny are probably the closest.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Thank You Sponsors!