iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which mill?,,,,,,,,or to build

Started by bedway, September 07, 2006, 01:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Ive heard some pretty good things about norwoods mills. Unless im missing something im concerned about the lack of stability in the frame/track area. The old saying goes, (ya get what ya pay for). Norwoods 24 as far as i can tell is the lowest priced around. On the other hand i like the ability to pick and choose from linn lumbers offerings. Needless to say im one of those guys who likes to build things. Im not looking for a production mill. One that will cut some good lumber for my small woodworking shop. Ill be cutting mostly hard woods, but not concerned about speed. Being semi retired i dont work to a schedule. My wife (CEO) has i think resigned herself to the fact that im going to get one or build ;D Ive been looking at auctions and elsewhere hopeing to find a mill or part of one to acquire. Everyone feel free to jump in and give me your valued opinions on this,,,,,bedway

Dan_Shade

I say whatever you do, go big, or go home.

it's not much fun to have a pile of 60 logs and an 8hp mill (ask me how I know).

if you are adamant about keeping the fact that you have a sawmill classified, then you'll be fine with 8hp :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mr Mom

bedway...I am in the same boat as you.
     I am thinking about buying a carrage set up from somebody and build the track for it.
     On the norwood fourm they said that norwood would sell just the carrage. That might be the way i will go.

Thanks Alot mr Mom.

gary

Whatever you get I would make sure it had hydrualics

jpad_mi

Building a mill is very rewarding, but it is a long and expensive process. I'd say go for it if you enjoy designing and fabricating metal. On the other hand, if you think you'll get more enjoyment out of actually learning to saw, just  buy a mill from one the sponsors on the left. You'll be able to start sawing right away and it'll have good to excellent resale value when you decide to upgrade. If I'd have known up front how long it would take to build a mill, and what it ended up costing, I would have gotten a loan and bought one.

Purchasing a complete head assembly would definatly make it a more manageable project.
Jeff P. in Michigan

timcosby

i have a norwood 24 and there is no problems with stability. it shakes sometimes (not very often)when i don't have the logs dogged down but you cant see it in the cut on the lumber. i am still using the 6.5 hp motor that came with it and it cuts fine not fast but not slow iether. i have purchased a new 13 hp honda clone for $210 off of ebay to see how it does but mainly to use the 6.5 on a edger i want to build. if your cuttin for your self as i am in my opinion you don't need hydraulics although if money is no prob then they would be nice. take a look at my gallery i set mine up on steel i-beams that i salvaged from a friend and tack welded the angle iron to it. i also set it up so that one side is higher than the log bed so i can pull the log beside it with a truck and then roll the log with my foot onto the bed. i got one bed extention from norwood so i can cut up to 12.5' and am going to add some salvaged angle iron to the end to roll the carrage onto so i can cut up to 18'. the one extention came with the tracks and one bunk so i should have enough bunks to hald the log without supporting it for the 6' at the beginning. i cut in the evenings trying to cut out flooring for a new house and wood for a bigger shop (shops, he he wife doesn't read here) lots of fun and loads of work. all the oak i have cut cups warps splits you name it so until i build a solar kiln i'm layin off the oak. take a look at my pond/sawmill blog too fro the curved bridge which is now two curved bridges and a deck (got carried away). buy a norwood and see how it is built cut with it a while and build one like it then sell the norwood that way your cuttin and a building. the simplicity of the engineering of the norwood really blows me away too.

jpgreen

I think it all comes down to a guy's time.  

Building your own is rewarding, but only personally.  Resale wise, the rewards are not going to be there cause a home built mill is not going to be worth near as much.

I think by the time you figure in your time, and every nickel and dime that goes into the project, you would be ahead buying a good used mill.  Of course there are always acceptions.  I live in a remote area and it's dang expensive to take on projects.

A guy that already has materials available at a good price close by can make a better go of it.

Eventhough I can design and fabricate, I feel some things are better off buying the best you can get for your money.

I've got a lot of time and some change in rebuilding my LT40, but when I'm done- what do I have?  One of the most poplular mills made, with probably the highest resale value.  Even AFTER I'm done with it.

I like the idea of buying the saw head, and making your own track.  Shipping is expensive.

Well- you asked, so I told..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

bedway

Its a good thing you guys dont charge for your knowledge nor experience because it is priceless. Im sure hydrulics are money well spent, especially for speed. I also understand how tireing it can be wrestling around a large log or piece of wood. In my particular case i work a little and then power rest :D So i think that could be an add on or imprevised later if needed/wanted. Can anyone tell me of the linn lumber quality of their  products or materials?  Ive got a 16 horse briggs off of a dieing mower im thinking of useing, the engine itself is in pretty good condition. Mr Mom,,,,where did you see that norwood would sell just the saw head itself? I need to take some action here pretty soon because all the logs im pulling out of the woods are just laying there begging me to saw them :)

jrokusek

I was able to build for under $1000.  Definitely not production oriented, but was fun to build.  I went into this project with the assumption that my time was worth nothing and the value of this mill was the value of the steel as scrap.  In other words, it's not worth what I have into it.  If you look to buy steel in odd places - such as places that sell stuff as "surplus" and "odd lots" you'll do well.  In my mill I used some steel that was once part of a Jello display rack, some of it was 3x3x1/4" steel angle that was part of some pallet racking, etc.  Look in odd places and you'll be amazed.

If I had to do it again I'd consider buying a pre-made saw head. 

Oh yeah, if you have to clear all this from your wife, just tell her that you're getting real stressed out.  Tell her you're thinking about going out to drink with the boys at night at the local bars.  Either that or a sawmill would be a good stress reliever.  Let her decide!   :D ;)

jpgreen

Quote from: jrokusek on September 08, 2006, 11:41:03 AM
Oh yeah, if you have to clear all this from your wife, just tell her that you're getting real stressed out.  Tell her you're thinking about going out to drink with the boys at night at the local bars.  Either that or a sawmill would be a good stress reliever.  Let her decide!   :D ;)

........ :D  "Local Boobie Bars" would prolly get you an LT70...  :D

tcsmpsi

Quote from: jpgreen on September 08, 2006, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: jrokusek on September 08, 2006, 11:41:03 AM

........ :D  "Local Boobie Bars" would prolly get you an LT70...  :D

Yeah.  It would prolly get me sumthin', alright.   More akin to a LT20ga.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jpgreen

Shawn

When I choose to "buy" my next mill, it will be a norwood. I love the trailering option. Mobile and ground use in the same mill. No extras like hydraulics to maintain, repair, or replace.

Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

bedway

This is enough to give ya an ulcer. ;D Im still curious about linn lumbers quality of parts and design. Nobody responding back in regards to them has me doubting their products. Mr mom, has found out norwood will sell their #24 saw head but not the 2000 saw head . smiley_huh This condition im suffering from i think is called the (pre saw mill acqusition daze). Wife keeps asking me, are you listening? As i gaze out at my log pile. :) She says to me,,i know this routine. You get a mill, then you want an edger, then you want a kiln, and on and on. I really think she reads me like a book, scarey huh? :D

logwalker

I think that Linn lumber deserves more consideration. I have talked exstensivly with them on different subjects and they sound very dedicated to what they do. They certainly provide a valuable srvice to DIY's.

I ended up buying a LT40HDe used with a lot of hours and am very happy. I came from an all manual Western Sawyer that gave me a good workout that I don't miss much.

What is the average size of your logs? That would be the deciding factor for me as I don't want to wrastle the big ones anymore. They are also dangerous to some degree.

LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

bedway

Being that most of what i saw will be for my woodworking shop, i rarely use material over 8 ft. On the other hand i have found that normally you regret not going bigger in anything you build or buy. I went to the locale recycle yard the other day. The price their asking for steel,,angle iron, channel, etc. is 15 cents a pound. You could sure build one heck of a frame/log deck at those prices vrs. new material. Also as many of us know who enjoy the building aspect, the satisfaction of building ones own things is priceless. I guess some communications with linn lumber might be my next step.

Fla._Deadheader

Several guys have bought parts from Linn. I almost did. No problems with them that I am aware of. I think they even offer plans of some sort ???

A pre built sawhead from a Manufacturer would be the easiest way. That's the part that needs to be accurate. Building track and frame is a no brainer. Just keep it square and level-flat.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JCam

TimberKing sells their 1220 saw head and supplies you with a build print of the frame. Keep your eye on the Sawmill Exchange for a used mill. You owe yourself a sawmill... I mean what's life all about anyway. When you cut your first board, on your own mill, you'll be flying. It's just not the same as walking into the lumber yard. Something will snap in your head and you'll never be the same.
Good luck
jc
Wood-Mizer LT40G25, a tractor, and a couple of chainsaws.

D._Frederick

bedway

Linn Lumber has been building band mill since the early nineties and has a solid mill design, you will find No design bugs in his mills. I bought #9 saw carriage from him and have had no material failures.

I would not be afraid to buy a mill from him, it will work as stated. The question is how many hours have you on your knees and back? A manual mill requires a lot of heavy lifting and his best done by a younger person.

thecfarm

A manual mill is ALOT of work.That's why I say"If I don't do it,it don't get done"Everything is work with my mill.Really give it alot of thought to what you want and need.I had to get my wife to dog in a few big logs for me.It's hard to hold the peavy with one hand and try to dog in the log with the other.Once it's square on two sides,I'm all set by myself.Than it can't roll back on me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

low_48

Maybe this will not be of interest to you, but you may also think about the resale. I bought a demonstrator Baker/Enercraft manual mill. I used it for 2 1/2 years till I had lumber falling out my ears. I then sold it for $300 more than I paid for it. That came close to paying for all the blades I used and I have something like 6000 bd ft of hardwoods. The worst thing about selling? You always want to get another one. I satisfy my milling urges by taking the chainsaw to the pile and cutting turning blanks.

Skip

I've had a LM 2000 for 2+yrs and have sawn many mbfs and have had NO problems with it. It is a well designed and heavy duty man. mill. I added an electic winch (replced the manual one) and it has made it a lot easier on me. As far as building your own , you get the best of both worlds with a norwood, YOU have to assemble it yourself, mine came in 35 boxes  :o but that saves you a bunch of cabbage  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!