iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Bombers

Started by barbender, May 26, 2014, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

The state of MN has several Bombardier airplanes that are used for firefighting. We had 2 working around our house last night. A fire started when a tree fell on a powerline, right in an area there is a lot of pine on the ground from a vicious wind storm we had 2 summers back (all other agencies salvaged their property, but the US Forest Service seems to have a hard time cleaning theirs up). Anyhow, they like to use the lake behind our house to dip water out of, as it is long and narrow. They are about 80-100' above tree top height, one made a pass in a banking turn right over the peak of our house and I don't think he could have been 100' up- I could see the pilots face clearly out of my living room window :o My kids thought it was "awesome" but I thought it a little close for comfort and a bit unnecessary,  as we live in the woods and they could easily make their turns without strafing the house ::) Oh well, all well that ends well, they put out the fire and it is a very impressive operation. Those pilots have some guts, I'll say that for sure.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

That's not the best picture, it's through the screen of my living room window ::)

yukon cornelius

that is both cool and scary. probably a lot neater to see when they aren't working close to your house. we are a few hours from whiteman airforce base and we see the A-10 planes all the time. I think our first little cabin in the woods was a practice target. it is bright yellow. 2 planes come by gridding out the area and then all hell breaks loose. they come in fast and LOW!!!!they head straight at us and then right at us bank hard to the side and up. then the second one swoops in. it rattles the house. some days it seems I could climb the tree and touch them. we love to see them but our 3 year old get terrified.

thanks for sharing your pic.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

barbender

It's neat to see close to the house, just not 30' over the roof!

Thank You Sponsors!