iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just Wondering

Started by Dewey, April 04, 2017, 07:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I just got back from a well deserved vacation in the deep south....  Saw tons of Palm Trees...Just curious does it make good lumber ???

Ox

Nope.  Tom tried sawing some and found it was strange and useless and ate blades.  It wasn't really wood but more like compressed plant matter.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

No. Very fibrous. Wraps around the sprockets of chain saw as soon you try to cut it.

The heart of Sable palm (State tree of Fla) is cut out, peeled like an artichoke and eaten raw, in a salad, or cooked and called heart of palm or swamp cabbage. If you cut too far into the heart it gets bitter from natural quinine which is one of the reasons the Seminoles supposedly did not get Malaria as it was a staple food for them. My grandmother used to add a little sugar to counter act it. (Warning - its a natural laxative.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dewey

Thanks......  My wife caught me knocking on one....  I didn't think it sounded solid like a hardwood....

4x4American

Well I reckon it may be sawed on the wm into salad then lol

I've never cut salad on the WM before, just wanna make sure not to use diesel for lube, unless you want dressing to go with it
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

It is a monocotyledon. A very different animal than our dicotyledon hardwoods. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Lot of different species of palm trees.

Coconut is now actually used for lumber and available commercially, The best part of the log resembles mahogany in colour, trength and hardness. And of course whole logs can be used in log type construction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_timber

Other species are more variable, and might make better salad than lumber. Sago (the cooking ingredient) is the heart of the Sago palm, so is probably more comparable to spaghetti than lumber  :D

Spend any time in the Pacific Islands and you will learn about the uses there are for the coconut tree. Their nickname for it is "Tree of Life" because they say that as long as you have coconut trees, you can keep yourself alive.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

I have family that lives in Dominican Republic that has houses made of
palm trees. I ask about the lumber. I was told that they only use the
outside cut of the log. They get around 6 boards off each log. That's
what you see on this house.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

QuoteI was told that they only use the outside cut of the log.

That would makes sense because that's the harder and more durable "wood". Palms grow in a different way to a regular, as in they put on height, but don't increase significantly in girth. So no growth rings  :P

As a side effect, tree ferns (which look like a palm) have been used as a building material by the Maori and first European settlers. Meant you could knock together a hut and get out of the rain relatively quickly, without a sawmill.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ellmoe

Many years ago the Ga. Pa. plywood plant in Palatka, Fl. made some plywood with cabbage palm. I was told it shut down every machine it came to. I thought it would look like a grass skirt, but it actually looked good! :o  It never reached production stage. I guess $100,000.00 per sheet plywood wasn't thought to be a likely big seller.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

I would not buy any stock in that  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dewey

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 05, 2017, 02:48:55 AM
I have family that lives in Dominican Republic that has houses made of
palm trees. I ask about the lumber. I was told that they only use the
outside cut of the log. They get around 6 boards off each log. That's
what you see on this house.

I actually went to the Dominican as part of this trip and saw these type of houses... I asked tour guide to see a sawmill but he said there were not any around :(

Kbeitz

I got to see three sawmills in Dominican Republic. I guess you need
family over there to show you around.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sealark37

Palm logs make the best material for building bunkers for infantry.  Absorbs artillery fragments and blast damage like no other wood.  I, however, do not recommend this activity.  Regards, Clark

WV Sawmiller

kbeitz,

We don't need family over there to show us around. We just need to know somebody who has family over there.  ;) ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 05, 2017, 10:56:34 AM
kbeitz,

We don't need family over there to show us around. We just need to know somebody who has family over there.  ;) ;)

Your right. But most Dominicans don't want to waste there time doing this.
They think we are a pest.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!