iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

basswood

Started by trapper, June 01, 2012, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I am making 1x2x6ft basswood  peices for my friend.  How much does basswood shrink when it dries? Thanks
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

Marv
Basswood, American Basswood, ... Shrinkage: Radial: 6.6%, Tangential: 9.3%, Volumetric: 15.8%
green to oven dry. So figure green around 30% and a straight line to 0%, and then calculate the shrinkage at whatever moisture content you want to hold at.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MHineman

Quote from: beenthere on June 01, 2012, 08:02:44 PM
Marv
So figure green around 30% and a straight line to 0%, and then calculate the shrinkage at whatever moisture content you want to hold at.
Are you saying the green lumber starts at 30% MC?  I think Basswood starts a lot higher than that.  I have some Basswood logs to saw and I need some cut into lumber.  I'll try to get at least one sawn up soon and let you know what the MC is when fresh off the mill.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Al_Smith

I've never made lumber from it just lousy firewood which is better than nothing .It weighs a ton when it's green cut like cotton wood but once split dries real fast and is very light weight .So that said it holds a lot of water .

beenthere

Quote from: MHineman on June 01, 2012, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: beenthere on June 01, 2012, 08:02:44 PM
Marv
So figure green around 30% and a straight line to 0%, and then calculate the shrinkage at whatever moisture content you want to hold at.
Are you saying the green lumber starts at 30% MC?  I think Basswood starts a lot higher than that.  I have some Basswood logs to saw and I need some cut into lumber.  I'll try to get at least one sawn up soon and let you know what the MC is when fresh off the mill.

It doesn't start to shrink until the mc gets below 'around' the 30% mc. Same with all woods. The mc where it starts will vary.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

I have a delmhorst j-lite meter which goes to 30% moisture.  The wood was over 30% because the light for 30% was blinking.  The basswood is ideal for this application because it is light when dry and does not have to be strong.  It only holds a trap in place under the ice until it is set off and then is just a location marker. We cut a bit big and if they dont shrink enough he will cut to size.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!