iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sparks, Marty, any LT70/LT40 Super Hydraulic owners familiar with this problem

Started by Percy, September 09, 2018, 10:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

My feed system is buzzerk....

Condition...right now it will only gig back(I dont have a spare solenoid so I rebuilt the one on the mill and bench tested it...seems to be fine)ordering new one on Monday.

In the "BOX", there is a panel on the door with lights that correspond with feed system/yadda. Everything seems to be in order as far as those lights are concerned.

There is another panel on the door right above the afformentioned lights(my mill has been upgraded from accuset to accuset II). When I lightly tap this panel with a hammer, the feed system will momentarily work forward but will not resume working once you re engage. 

One other thing, when Im gigging back and I let go of the control lever, the head coasts as opposed to braking quickly to a stop.

Im stumped. Does the solonoid do more than I am aware of?? I see a jumper wire going between two posts, one on each end of the solonoid(Im assumng thats the shunt or brake wire).

Can anyone help?? Im in a pickle with some of my customers as Im not providing when I said I would and a solonoid is at least 3 days way....

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customsawyer

Not saying this is your problem but I had a new one the other day. The nut that keeps everything tight on the mandrel of the drum switch had worked lose. Things would work when it wanted to and then not. Check if your contacts in the drum switch is making good contact.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Percy on September 09, 2018, 10:54:54 AM

One other thing, when Im gigging back and I let go of the control lever, the head coasts as opposed to braking quickly to a stop.

The head on my mill as always coasted back when I let off the lever.
Of course I don't have the Super.
I've always played the game to let off the lever and see how close I can coast to the 
rubber bumper without touching it.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

Mine does not and has not ever coasted in either direction.  When I release the forward/back lever the shunt across the power feed motor stops it instantly.

A look at your electrical schematic will give you the answer of how your sawmill should operate regarding braking and what provides it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on September 09, 2018, 02:34:59 PM
Mine does not and has not ever coasted in either direction.  When I release the forward/back lever the shunt across the power feed motor stops it instantly.

A look at your electrical schematic will give you the answer of how your sawmill should operate regarding braking and what provides it.
Do you know where the shunt is located??

Magicman

If I remember correctly mine is contacts on the drum switch, but note that my sawmill is a '98 model.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

my 70 super coasts like forever when you let off cause of it being a regular hydromobolical.  I want to put on it the same valve that a rotobec log bucket has on it that stops it from spinning around in circles forever.  If you let off the joystick all the way at once it coasts awhile, if you slowly let up off the go lever it will coast less.  If you let off the coast and then jerk it in the other direction it stops on a dime.  Things to consider.  It was annoying getting used to coming from the 40 super, but with 900 hours on the new girl we're well acquainted with each other.
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

I for the life of me cant figure out why WM doesn't switch over to hyd head feed on their mill.  I just spent $75 on a feed speed part on my mill so now after 14000 hours I have less than $200 in the head feed.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Percy

Figured it out. I was looking at the one solenoid that was original as the other one was replaced about a year and a half ago. Apparently, after studying how the system works and getting a headache thinking about it I determined that the two solenoids are interactive and the one I recently replaced is the one that is defective. It also gets the snottkicking compared to the other one...at least to my way of thinking 🤔 more headache 🤪

Regardless, it's back to work....

gmmills

Percy, Glad you got it going.  Troubleshooting that dual solenoid system can have you really scratching your head.

Ladylake, 

4x4's Super 70 is an all Hyd mill. Hyd pump powered power feed and head functions.

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Percy

Quote from: ladylake on September 09, 2018, 05:11:17 PM

I for the life of me cant figure out why WM doesn't switch over to hyd head feed on their mill.  I just spent $75 on a feed speed part on my mill so now after 14000 hours I have less than $200 in the head feed.  Steve
14000 hours!!! Thats impressive. Im at 11000 plus...... we'll both be taking the dirtnap before these mills die....  ;D ;D

Percy

Quote from: gmmills on September 09, 2018, 06:56:12 PM
Percy, Glad you got it going.  Troubleshooting that dual solenoid system can have you really scratching your head.

Ladylake,

4x4's Super 70 is an all Hyd mill. Hyd pump powered power feed and head functions.
Thanks

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on September 09, 2018, 02:43:27 PM
If I remember correctly mine is contacts on the drum switch, but note that my sawmill is a '98 model.
Now that I sorta figured out how the system works, I see the shunt wires are on the solenoid on my 2003 LT70....relay city....

PA_Walnut

Inspect those contacts/movements on the drum switch WELL! I had acting up similarly and it was on of them that was bent too far and not making appropriate contact.

Motor also is suspect. My recently crapped and would go backward, but not forward then eventually quit completely. It was suspect for a while as forward motion was jerky at times and/or tripping the breaker. New motor is rock-solid thus far!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!