iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

swivel hoist lifting ring?Grapple added....pictures too

Started by 47sawdust, November 26, 2017, 11:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I purchased a Farma 34'' grapple without the hydraulic actuator.I'm thinking of using a 7k-10k swivel hoist lifting ring for attachment to my homemade grapple assembly.Actually making 2 assemblies,one 3 pt. hitch, one to slide over my loader forks.Move the grapple from one to the other depending upon what I'm doing.Mostly want to pick up 16' firewood logs to an easy cutting height.
My question......is the swivel hoist ring a good choice?
Thanks
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

chubby

Hey 47 Sawdust, the swivel hoist should work fine. The only thing I would say is to not pass it through the 2 bolt holes of the grapple. Use a shaft to connect to the grapple then pass the ring through the shaft. That way if there's wear, you only have the replace that shaft instead of the grapple.

If you have a chance, post a pic of how you've done it. I always like seeing people's creativity  ;D

Crusarius

I agree. I like seeing other ppl's ideas :)

47sawdust

I have the grapple and swivel hoist put together and mounted on a frame that slides onto my forks.Later in the week,I'll take some pictures and post them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ed_K

This is what I came up with for my grapple hanging off the bucket.

It's made up as a 1" pin inside a tube with a 1" id hole welded to the 1/2 flat stock pinned to the pipe hanging off the bucket. There's some other pict. in my gallery.
Ed K

47sawdust

Well today was the maiden voyage.I welded a short section of schedule 80 directly to the grapple.The 10,000 lb.lifting ring is welded to a 3/8 plate,welded to the other end of said pipe.Two stops 90° apart lock the ring when I want to keep the grapple in a fixed position,either parallel or perpindicular to the tractor.
The support bracket slips over the forks for easy on/off.The sole purpose of this is for bucking logs into firewood without bending over.Not meant for rough service.
The grapple was 890.00,lifting ring 68.00,40.00 steel and 70.00 for hoses.With all the money I've got tied up in firewood equipment,I could buy enough cut,split,and delivered to last me the rest of my life.....but we're not gonna talk about that.It keeps me broke and happy and my wife encourages my habit so I probably won't quit.

Mick

Ed_K

Nice build  8) . It's nice to not bend over to cut up the cord wood. I lift the end of logs to buck to length also,keeps the saw out of the dirt.
Ed K

chubby

Thank You Sponsors!