iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

880 Won't Start

Started by mdennisusa1, June 08, 2013, 09:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdennisusa1

I picked up the 880 yesteday I ordered, the tec had it running in the shop.  Tried to start it this afternoon and couldn't get it started.  I had  gas comming out of the pressure relief valve and the muffler so I'm sure it was flooded.   Let is sit cause I didn't have time to fool with it and tried again this evening and it still wouldn't start.

I'll take the plug out and give it a few pulls tomorrow to to clear the cylinder and try again.  I've read the 880 is a bear to start.  Anyone have any ideas on why it would flood so easily and any hints on starting?
Woodmizer LT15  Kubota L3200.  Woodworker

beenthere

What is your start-up procedure?
Like choke, at first burp, take choke off?

And is the "pressure relief valve" the decompression button? Push it in to start?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

If it keeps on flooding without the choke the needle valve is letting to much fuel in, could be from dirt, stiff diaphragms , assembled wrong or the metering lever adjusted too high.  Also if the low is adjusted way rich it will pull a lot of fuel through with the choke on.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawguy21

It better not have those issues, it's a new saw. He probably didn't recognize the 'false fire' and left the choke closed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

You have a point there .I have an 084 and once it "burbs " get off the choke .

mdennisusa1

Thanks guys.  It did start OK the this morning.  You are right, I didn't recognize the "false fire."  That's a new one on me.  I've got other Stihls and they aren't nearly as finicky but it's been starting OK off and on all day today.  Thanks for your help.
Woodmizer LT15  Kubota L3200.  Woodworker

clww

I agree with Al: once it "burps", pull that trigger and pop it off the choke. I've got two 084s. One is a beast to start some days. It has a mind of it's own.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

welderskelter

What does a new 880 cost nowadays? Didnt know they made them anymore.

Ianab

List price in the US seem to be around $1800. I don't imagine they are a big seller, but some jobs still need a big saw. It will also be a regional thing, more big trees, more big saws. They aren't something that you want to be carrying through the bush all day, but if you do have to take down 6ft dia trees, that's the sort of saw you need.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

deerslayer

I had starting issues with my MS660 when I first got it too. What I found is that after three pulls with the choke on, I take it off even if I didn't notice the pop. Seems the larger saws have a less noticeable pop than smaller ones. Since using that technique, no more flooding issues. Once you decode it I'm sure it'll start fine for you.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!