iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please be carefull.

Started by Hiway40frank, July 26, 2016, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiway40frank

I know this is redundant but today for the first time ever I had an accident. Ive never had a saw kick back ive never been hit by a felling tree shoot Ive never even dropped a round or firewood on my foot, but today was different. I cut a standing dead white pine about 16in at the stump. All I know is it fell where I wanted it to but I was standing too close. The tree fell hit a rock sea-sawed and kickdback right into my side. I was standing about 6ft away when it dropped. I dont know why I was not furthur back. Well the tree pinned me but I got lucky and fell inbetween a rock and a stump. My knee is black n blue and my chest looks like mike tyson practiced his left hook for 2 hours on me. Dont be like me, I have thousands of safe cutting hours and could never picture this happening to me. One wrong step and I would of been crushed to death or a branch could of went through my chest. Wont be touching the saw for a few days but I will be back at it again this time knowing im not immune to injury... Always check surrondings and get the hell away when she dropps. Sorry for the speack but im still in shock.

Ed_K

You will be sore for a while, glad it wasn't worse. And welcome to the 300/30/ club. For every 300 near misses there's 30 close calls, don't try for the 3 club. That one really hurts  :( .
Ed K

treeslayer2003

glad your here telling us about it. i could lecture ya about how most fatality happen close to the stump, but you already know that.
its hot, we are tired, but lets all play it safe and go home every day.

coxy

glad your ok could have been much much worse you just never know whats going to happen did you get checked out by a doc if not you should just to be safe  I got hit in the side one time with a 8in 4ft long stick had my winter coveralls on no scraps nothing went home after working the rest of the day only to wake up in the night to go number 1 and it was all blood scared the crap out of me went to the ER and had a bruised line

wolf nemeth

Glad you made it.  Sounds like there wasn't an inch to spare. And praise the Lord.
   By the way, Coxy, when you had that bruised line did you replace it with stouter stuff?
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Ron Scott

A good reminder to all. A little more than a near miss when pain is encountered.
~Ron

Ohio_Bill

Glad your ok. Thanks for the reminder not to get complacent.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

WV Sawmiller

Frank,

Glad you survived with no worse injuries than you described. I've seen it posted around here before but reminder that when you aren't scared to cut a tree, it is probably the time to quit cutting trees. They can sure hurt you quick and in a hurry.

I looked at a dead ash this afternoon and looks like it will fall just where I want it. Then I looked up at the widowmaker hanging up there from the very first tree I cut 18 months ago to use on my mill. I will no doubt cut it but my planning and escape route will be more detailed and clear and used sooner than otherwise.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

Quote from: wolf nemeth on July 26, 2016, 05:15:24 PM
    Glad you made it.  Sounds like there wasn't an inch to spare. And praise the Lord.
   By the way, Coxy, when you had that bruised line did you replace it with stouter stuff?
ya   it was 8-10 braid steel monster hose/line  :) :) you know your kidney line/hose  :D :D

thecfarm

I've seen trees do some mighty odd things. Most times I was well away from the tree and thinking,I am glad I am back here.
I did have a wake up call one day. I was clearing a grown up pasture,cutting two-three trees grown together,6-8 inches across for a couple days. All was going well. Someone had built a shed and there was 2 trees growing by it,I just did the same cut as always,no big deal. Well this time,they broke apart and one went towards the shed. That tree shoot back at me and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the ground. But the worse part,I could of got away,but like a dumby I just stood there and watched the tree hit the roof of the shed.   ::)  I knew better. I gave that shed away.  :D Hardly did any damage to the roof.
I have seen a few trees move sideways 10 feet before from hitting a rock. Things can happen. I have more respect for a tree 3 feet across,but a 6 inch one can send you flying too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hiway40frank

Like you said about a 6in tree, even if its light every foot it falls it gains more ft lbs of force. Thank god I had my helmet on when I fell I hit my head on the rock that kept me from getting crushed. Anyone else think that a dead standing tree is more likly to cause and accident? Im thinking it had to do with it having no branches and nothing to absorb the fall also being so light it bounced right back up...

Spartan

Quote from: Hiway40frank on July 26, 2016, 01:09:27 PM. Dont be like me,

Too late, I've been almost exactly like you. 
except mine hooked me under the arm and flung me in the air.

The problem is you can be careful and it can still happen.  It's just a dangerous job.

I keep a close ear out for that heavenly "Look Out!!"

kensfarm

Glad you're doing okay..  did you get checked out by a doc?   

motohed

Glad to hear you were all right , many don't live too tell the story , It has been sad times for many familes . We all need to ponder this and take it too the woods , be safe out there . We have been cutting early and getting out of the woods by noon and going back and skidding later when the sweat is burning your eyes and your brain is baking in a hard hat , it's not a good time to be in the woods . The last 3 day it's been 90 plus degrees and near 100% . We usually goback in 4 to 4:30 and come out at dark or a little after . we may not have the extra load we wanted at the end of the week , but we get by fine , and live too tell about it . I've personally had too many of what I call close calls to work in those conditions , and I don't expect my guys too either , we just hit the pool for a while or do what ever work is in the shop .

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

petefrom bearswamp

Glad you are OK.
I have had a few incidents over 50 years, knocked cold 3 times  due to stupidity, cut once same reason no chaps.
We are only one mistake away from meeting our maker when working in the woods.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tj240

glad you are ok, had my share of bang ups, some serious. Stay safe and always remember you never know!!! Heal quick and go cut more.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

glassman_48

hiway,
Glad your ok, might be worth a trip to a doc.  Last time I was in the woods, I had my hard hat on, looked up for any dead branches in a 10" maple didn't see any and 1/2 way through the tree I had a 3" branch land on my helmet/shoulder.  I haven't been back in the woods since.  I have loggers deliver my firewood for me now ;D

Thank You Sponsors!