iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Emerald Ash Borer Information.

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2005, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

RE:  FOUR NEW EAB QUARANTINED COUNTIES

LANSING – As the emerald ash borer continues its march through Michigan's ash trees, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development has revised the state's Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine to better reflect where Michigan is in its battle against the beetle. The quarantine revision now includes four additional counties in the Upper Peninsula – Baraga, Dickinson, Marquette and Menominee.

MDARD is revising its quarantine based on EAB detections made during United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (USDA-APHIS)-led summer trapping and surveillance efforts. EAB was detected on USDA-APHIS panel traps in Dickinson and Marquette counties. The two positive traps in Marquette County were in the city of Marquette and northwest of the city of Marquette. The one positive trap in Dickinson County was near Norway.

Although there were no positive trap catches in Baraga and Menominee counties, they are close enough to infested counties that there is a low level of confidence that EAB is not already there.

Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon counties will remain un-quarantined. The movement of regulated articles from the quarantined counties in the Upper Peninsula into Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon counties is prohibited unless done under a compliance agreement issued by MDARD's Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division.

Firewood that has been certified for the Federal Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine by USDA-APHIS is exempt if it is packaged, bears a USDA compliance stamp and is clearly marked with the producer's name and address.

"The quarantine revision continues to protect the ash resource in Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon counties, while recognizing the changing landscape due to EAB infestations," said Gina Alessandri, Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division Director. "Additionally, the new quarantine will ease the regulatory burden placed on Michigan's forest-based businesses and individuals moving forest products within the state."

The Lower Peninsula continues to be quarantined in its entirety and is designated as the Quarantine Level I area.  Movement of articles regulated by the EAB Quarantine can only move from the Quarantine Level I area in the Lower Peninsula into the Upper Peninsula if done under a valid MDARD Compliance Agreement.

For more information, go to the EAB website at www.michigan.gov/emeraldashborer.

~Ron

Swamp Fox

The majority of my acreage is ash and EAB was located in my county (Douglas County WI) within 5 miles of my place a few years ago. I decided to be proactive and the processor moved in this morning. I'm cutting the majority of it only leaving some along the river and a few reserve pockets.

I'll be planting a few different replacement species. It's hard to see it go but I'm not taking a chance. If it hits the ash the way I think, it's going kill the whole river valley.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Klunker

I am wonder about the long term results of the EAB.

I would assume at some point there has to be an equilibrium achieved.
I don't think that the beetle will cause Ash to go extinct.
In the end if the Ash tree goes extinct what does that mean for an insect that needs it to survive?

Any thoughts?

Swamp Fox

I think ash will always be around but not in the numbers it once was. EAB will kill small stems also so unless the trees develop a resistance of some kind or something else decides to feed on the bug we will see mass die off for some time to come.

I had a hard time cutting some of my lands but I did leave ash behind along the river and in reserve pockets. If it kills it, I'll just harvested what I can for my personal firewood after it dies. The rest will be wildlife trees.

They should finish the harvesting this week. It's been warm and the frost is going fast.

Ron Scott

RE:  EAB WEBINAR

I am pleased to announce that Kathleen Knight of the USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station  be giving a free webinar on EAB University called "Update on EAB Woodland Population and Forest Dynamics" at 11:00 EST, on Thursday 24 March. 

Kathleen's presentation will be very useful for anyone interested in the long-term management of EAB in forests and cities. This webinar will review results from her long-term research on how the abundance of EAB changes during the initial invasion and how it changes after host trees have been killed.

To join the webinar on the day of the event, go here: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/eabu.php

If you are not able to attend, the recorded webinar will be available on the EABU YouTube channel the day after the event.

Please feel free to post this widely.

Cliff Sadof
Professor, Department of Entomology
Purdue University
Smith Hall
901 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2089
csadof@purdue.edu<mailto:csadof@purdue.edu>
http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/research/cs/
765-494-5983
765-494-2152 (FAX)
~Ron

Ron Scott

Emerald Ash Borer in Detroit: Return to Ground Zero

8-9 June
Michigan State University Detroit Center, Detroit Michigan

Registration Link.

In 2002, perhaps the most destructive invasive forest-pest in the history of North America was identified in Detroit: emerald ash borer (EAB). Since then, EAB has killed hundreds of millions of trees across 25 states and 2 Canadian provinces. After nearly 15 years of facing the budgetary and management challenges experienced by the massive die-off of trees, communities near EAB's ground-zero are looking to the future. Attention has once again turned to planting, routine maintenance, and innovative efforts to enhance and expand the community forest.

Across both the classroom and field, this two-day workshop will focus on communities beginning to recover from EAB infestation. Urban forestry practitioners from across the midwest will provide insight on effective and varied EAB response strategies, reforestation tactics, tree inventory use before and after EAB, and making our community forests more resilient to future pests. Join us to see the effects of EAB in Detroit first-hand, and discover new strategies for your approach to community forest management.

Topics and speakers to include:
•   Dave Roberts, Michigan State University Extension
Emerald Ash Borer: It's Future and Impact
•   Todd Mistor, City of Detroit, MI
Detroit's Urban Forest: Painting a Picture with Numbers.
•   Phillip Potyondy, Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board
Politics and Planning in Minneapolis: Thoughtful Urban Forest Management and Replanting.
•   Lydia Scott, The Morton Arboretum
Moving Towards a Health Urban Forest
•   Aaron Kingsley, City of Goshen, IN
Ash Replace Plan: Using UTC Data in Goshen, IN to Leverage Funding and Plant Trees
This workshop has been organized by a partnership between the City of Detroit, Greening of Detroit, Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Arboriculture Society of Michigan, Michigan ReLeaf, Michigan State University, and Davey Resource Group, a division of The Davey Tree Expert Company.
--
Lee Mueller
Davey Resource Group
A Division of The Davey Tree Expert Company
Grand Rapids, MI
(248) 221 - 0439
ISA Certified Arborist #MI414-8A
MI Registered Forester #46043
www.davey.com/drg
~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

I just red this article on parasitic wasps that have been released to battle the ash borer.

I hope the wasp doesn't turn out to be a problem in a few years.

http://www.usnews.com/news/science/articles/2016-05-24/use-of-parasitic-wasps-to-fight-ash-borer-grows-to-24-states

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

timberking

4 borers were trapped in Harrison County near Karnack.  Ash in these parts is incidental unless around one of the river systems.  Tex Forest Service having phone conference May 31.

petefrom bearswamp

Been found about 4 miles from me now
Sold my ash in 09.
Should have waited a few more yrs.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

jrose1970

Well, you probably did good to sell it when you did. It is in Bledsoe county, TN. I just don't have much, if any, ash trees. They are prevalent in our area just not on our farm.  Neighboring counties here seem oblivious so far, but it moved rapidly from Kentucky to Bledsoe County.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

grouch

Finally finished reading this thread. I didn't know a thing about EAB before. Apparently, it was found in my state in 2009. Thanks to the Forestry Forum for education. Guess this was not juicy enough for mainstream media to dwell on.

If quarantines and insecticides are the best we can rely on, look for plastic ash tree replicas in museums near you.

What eats the emerald ash borer? We're not chest deep in them, so something eats 'em.
Find something to do that interests you.

Ron Scott

Emerald Ash Borer Continues March Across Upstate NY, Found in Saratoga County

(Saratoga County, NY - June 13) - The New York Department of Environmental
        Conservation reported that the emerald ash borer has now been found in 34 of the
        state's 62 counties with its discovery in Saratoga County.
http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/06/emerald_ash_borer_continues_march_across_upstate_ny_found_in_saratoga_county.html

The E-Forester

~Ron

square1

Quote from: grouch on June 19, 2016, 05:13:29 PM
What eats the emerald ash borer? We're not chest deep in them, so something eats 'em.
Woodpeckers

grouch

Quote from: square1 on June 20, 2016, 05:36:04 AM
Quote from: grouch on June 19, 2016, 05:13:29 PM
Woodpeckers

So, if we don't do stuff that kills off woodpeckers, I'd expect by now to see an increase in the woodpecker population in areas where there are lots of EAB.

Anecdotes are not evidence, but observation is the basis of science.

Decades ago, almost all grocery bags were brown paper. The joints at the bottom were perfect housing and nurseries for cockroaches. My late mother saved all her grocery bags; they were very handy for harvest from the garden -- from green beans to grapes. Naturally, she had roaches. At its worst, you could go into the kitchen at night, flip on a light, and hear the things scuttling away. I remember cans of HotShot and Raid under the sink and roach motels in corners and cabinets. Every year, she'd call the exterminator. Roaches would disappear for a time. Roaches would reappear in force. Sometime in my teen years, I convinced her to stop with the spraying. The first two years were terrible, then the roaches were almost gone. There were more spiders in and under the house, and more toads around and under the house. There were also more mice, but traps handled them.

I never convinced her to stop "dusting" her beans, though. Based on the roach observation, I've never used herbicides, fungicides, insecticides or any pesticides on my place, except for the use of some pyrethrin based pellets in my detached garage one year to deal with a massive flea invasion. (19 cats, 3 dogs, totally ineffective "flea collars" and perfectly miserable summer weather combined).

Locals warned my wife and I that bean bugs and potato bugs would eat our first garden here until the army bugs moved in to completely strip it. They were right. We still didn't spray. We fed the wild birds, got some geese, chickens and ducks and turned them loose. 2nd year we mashed potato bugs. By the 3rd year, bugs were a nuisance, not a plague. (Got rid of the geese; too noisy and they ate the wiring under my truck). Peacocks seemed to be the end of the potato bugs, but I can't swear it wasn't just a coincidence that one disappeared after the other arrived. Now, almost 40 years later, we never even think about bug damage in the garden.

Inside the house, we started with a roach problem just like my Mom's. Now, we may see one (1) roach per spring. Ants are an ongoing, unsolved spring and summer problem.

My point in all of this is that we sometimes perpetuate an imbalance in our attempts to correct it. It's not natural to have hordes of 1 kind of bug -- roaches, bean bugs, potato bugs, etc. -- concentrated in an area. A population boom in prey should be followed by a population boom in predator, barring interference. I just hope we don't try to rely on a chemical solution to EAB. Chemical warfare, in my opinion, is for short-term extreme emergencies only.

What's going on in Michigan now? (I think that was indicated as ground zero).
What's the population of EAB?
How many survivor trees are found?
Are there ash trees there with naturally higher resistance to EAB attack?
Are there more woodpeckers or other predators of EAB in that area than there were before?

Ianab

Your thoughts on natural predators are probably on the right track. I see a number of parasitic wasps that prey on the EAB in their natural habitat, but aren't native the the US, have recently been released.

If that's successful then any local plague of the beetles will be followed by a spike in the little wasps that feed off them. Hopefully limiting them to a "nuisance" level where they only really get a foot hold in old or stressed trees, and healthy trees are able to fight off a minor infection.

It wont wipe out the borer, but it should stop the heavy infestations that are able to kill otherwise healthy trees.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

grouch

Here's a photo I snapped in my garden in 1981:

That hornworm never moved again. Is this the same way the released parasitic wasps work? Are they tiny enough to lay eggs on or in a borer, or how does that work?

Ianab

QuoteIs this the same way the released parasitic wasps work? Are they tiny enough to lay eggs on or in a borer

Yup that's the general idea. The adult wasp can find the grubs under the tree bark, paralyze it and lay eggs. The wasp larvae eat the grub, then spin their own cocoon sheltered in the grub tunnel. Then hatch out and go looking for more grubs. They reckon they will take out ~90% of the grubs, and that's hopefully enough to stop them killing the tree.

This is one of the wasps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spathius_agrili
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

grouch

Thanks!

May the little wasp go forth and multiply.  :)

BTW, that (above) was the last year we had any problems with hornworms. Maybe EAB will be stopped while there are still mature trees in the wild.

woodsteach

It is in Omaha Nebraska as of July 2016.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Ron Scott

Eye of the Beetle: How the Emerald Ash Borer Sees May Be Key to Stopping It

(Provo, UT - July 5) - Researchers at Brigham Young University may have found a way
        to stop emerald ash borers based on opsins in their eyes which could potentially be
        shut down, preventing them from finding their home or a mate.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160705160202.htm

The E-Forester
~Ron

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jrose1970

They announced on the news yesterday that White County, Tennessee has been added to the quarantine list. :(
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Magicman

I know of two very nice Ash trees on my property that have died.  I have no idea of the cause.  There were dead limbs in the crowns last year and one of them actually sprouted some green this Spring, but the leaves died.  My plans are to harvest and saw them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Please see below information pertaining an informational meeting being hosted by Texas Agrilife Extension and Texas A&M Forest Service about the current emerald ash borer (EAB) situation in Harrison County and the emergency quarantine that went into effect July 11th. There is no RSVP required to attend and we encourage you to attend this meeting to learn more about EAB, current monitoring efforts and the current quarantine. Other cooperators attending this public meeting include USDA-APHIS, Texas Department of Agriculture, Texas Parks and Wildlife and Texas Forestry Association.

The emergency quarantine enacted by Texas Department of Agriculture restricts the movement of Ash timber and all hardwood firewood to counties/areas outside the current quarantine boundary of Harrison County. The purpose of the quarantine is to help minimize the movement of EAB through human activities such as firewood distribution and log movement. More information in regards to the quarantine and the path forward will be provided at the meeting on July 25th.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!