iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper and safe drop starting technique

Started by Rocky_J, August 15, 2010, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawTroll

Quote from: Shotgun on August 16, 2010, 05:22:57 PM
Man, I couldn't even watch that gal start her saw. I watched no more than 6 seconds of that one.  Ouch.

Well, my wife ("SawWitch" on another site) didn't do it like that, when she still lived.
Information collector.

Warbird

No worries, Shotgun.  There is no violence/gore in that 10 second clip.  I found it by searching on how not to start a chainsaw.  :)

barbender

I had to go examine how I actually start a saw, I don't put it on the ground but I know I don't flail it all over either. I realized it's sort of like drop starting, but I anchor the rear handle on my thigh so saw is held firm. If that make any sense :)
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Al makes a great point, if you're not comfortable with any method, then don't do it. On the ground with a foot in the handle is definitely a good way for most saws, but is also more time consuming and not an option if you aren't near the ground, i.e. in a bucket or hanging from a rope. I always start any saw with the brake on, this really reduces the chance of an injury. My Huskys really like this, the Stihls with their foolish one lever switch where you can start choked at low idle don't like it so much, but they don't have a choice. Just be quick to hit the trigger to get it off of high idle when it fires.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

My opinion, and that's all it is, my saws are placed on the ground before starting. The whole drop start thing worries me a tad.  ;) I've seen those "one hand on throttle and pull cord with opposite hand that is not dominant" episodes. I usually see scars, or get the sad story of where and how. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!