iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need some custom signs

Started by Raider Bill, September 01, 2011, 12:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I wonder what the rules are on a black powder cannon?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bro. Noble

I imagine the main rule with blackpowder cannons is to be careful ;D

I used to be into blackpowder shooting and the cleanup got to be a real aggrivation.  A friend of mine had a morter that he liked to shoot-----he just hosed it out when he got done shooting :D :D  He use orange juice cans,  punched a hole in the bottom and stuck some cannon fuse through it then poured a little concrete in the bottom making sure that the fuse wasn't covered.  He then put some black powder in the can and capped it off with more concrete.  It worked really well.  It would be interesting determining just how long a fuse you needed and how much powder to use.  I'd want to stand behind a tree until I got everything finetuned ;)

I'm sure that any of your local reinactors would be able to tell you if there are local regulations.  I don't think there are any here.  If I had one, I'd shoot it and not worry about it :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 06, 2011, 05:54:47 PM
I wonder what the rules are on a black powder cannon? 

An LP cannon would be easier to rig up and it just keeps on working.  The soybean farmers use them here to scare away the deer.  They are also used to scare away blackbirds.

Simply, it is just a pilot light burning in one end.  LP is injected through an orifice.  When the mixture reaches about 10% the LP ignites....BOOM, and then the process starts over again.  Here is one:    http://scarecannon.com/
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You could put one of those at your place in Florida  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don_Papenburg

I know where you can have a cast iron barrel made  for the cannon.  make a steel tube the size of the can/casing. turn a wooden pattern . Then ship the whole bunch to John over at CanDo Metals in StAnne Illinois .  Or make up the tube and use one of the patterns that he has .   Email me if you want more info.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

thecfarm

A guy down the road has a small cannon, has a 1 inch bore. He shoots if off at times. Sometimes when he had too many beers at 2 in the morning.  ;D  I wake up and tell the wife Bob is at it again and go back to sleep.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Ok I am in contact with Busy Beaver's signs.

I'm thinking of this,

Warning Danger!

Private Shooting range ahead
Proceed with caution
Trespassers could/will be shot.

Maybe a skull and cross bones.

Any suggestions?

Magicman, I've seen/heard LP cannons when I lived up north. they used them for crows and geese in the corn fields.

Freedom6178

------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Raider Bill

Jeff

Remember to add, survivors will be shot again.

I was very happy with the signs I had made for my property. I designed my own at http://www.buildasign.com/

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,24810.msg375441.html#msg375441

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 07, 2011, 12:10:42 PM
Ok I am in contact with Busy Beaver's signs.

I'm thinking of this,

Warning Danger!

Private Shooting Range ahead
Proceed with caution
Trespassers could/will be shot.
Trespassers might be
accidentally shot

Maybe a skull and cross bones.

CYA

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Magicman

You want to keep your sign as serious and as official as possible.  Too much language about being shot and the sign will/may be perceived as a joke or ignored.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

I agree with MM. I would just put the first three lines and leave it at that.
Bill

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on September 07, 2011, 02:05:05 PM
You want to keep your sign as serious and as official as possible.  Too much language about being shot and the sign will/may be perceived as a joke or ignored.

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 07, 2011, 02:42:50 PM
I agree with MM. I would just put the first three lines and leave it at that.

I believe you guys are right.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Busy Beaver Lumber

Bill

Sent you some artwork to take a look at and comment on.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

WDH

You might take out "Proceed with Caution" as you do not want them to "proceed" at all.  "Proceed" back the way you came.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

you could make a sign that the area houses a skunk ranch
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raider Bill

Fred from Busy Beaver Lumber made these signs for me, 24X18 less than a week turn around!!!

Thank You Sponsors!