iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2003 Honda Foreman S problem

Started by Raider Bill, September 27, 2011, 10:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

We shut this machine off to change out the brakes and now it will not start. Spark is OK but it doesn't seem to be getting fuel past the pump.
There is a black wire that comes out of the carb which runs to the back which is pulled out / disconnected. Could this be a fuel shut off inside the carb? If so where does it connect to on the bike?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raider Bill

Actually it has gas to the carb and will fire with a spritz of spray but not without.
It appears that wire is a carb heater so shouldn't have anything to do with it. I guess.....

I hate it when doing a simple thing like changing brakes out this crap happens.

dutchman

Did you jack-up the honda to do the breaks?
Seems to me there is a shut off if the machine rolls or tips.
I'll check my book.

Checked : no mention in the owners manual.

Raider Bill

We had it on a lift table and jacked it just enough to get the tires off. I don't think it has a shut off as I've rolled it a couple times and it restarted right up.

Stupid stuff like this aggravates me. A simple brake job and now a no start. >:(

Raider Bill

Fixed it!  Looks like another victim of ethanol. Just enough gas in the bowl to drive it up on the lift then quit. I got out the precision hammer and tapped the carb a couple times ;) :), it started so I tore the carb apart and cleaned  it out, crystallized . I guess stabil isn't all that good as I put it in every tank.

CLL

You won't believe this but just had a problem very like this with a 350cc Honda motor. Seems I didn't adjust the valves quickly enough and the rocker jumped off the intake valve, no gas past the carb, or it seemed so anyway. It bend the push rod, so new push rod and away it went.
Too much work-not enough pay.

pineywoods

CLL, the bent pushrod not likely due to not adjusting valves. Aluminum valve guide plus steel valve stem. Add water from alcohol gas and let it sit for a week or so. The valve sticks in the guide. You were lucky, frequently results in broken camshaft or busted cylinder head. Not just a honda problem, I had the same thing happen to the Kawasaki on my mill.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!