iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x6s from small logs

Started by Patrick NC, April 27, 2022, 09:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I got an order yesterday for 50 pine posts. 6x6x8'. I've got a big pile of SYP  tops that are 9-10" on the small end. My question is if I saw them out of these smaller logs, will they stay fairly straight? 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

btulloh

I saw 6x6 out of pine tops frequently and they turn out pretty good. If the tops are straight, they stay straight after sawing. It still surprises me how well they turn out. They look better than what I see at the big box stores. Best thing to do is give it a try. Worst case is you end up with 6x6's to use for dunnage. 
HM126

WDH

The % of juvenile wood will be high so expect some twist.  You will not see it until they are dried, though.  They may be straight green off the sawmill, but a good number will twist as they dry and shrink.  That is just the way the ball bounces.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Yep I would expect more twist than anything else.
Too many irons in the fire

btulloh

I haven't gotten a high percentage of twist or other problems, but that's just my results from mostly VA pines. Just using them for myself though.  Selling right off the mill to a customer is a bit more responsibility for sure. 
HM126

WDH

Growth rate plays a part too.  Fast growth/wide rings has a higher risk of drying defects than slow growth/narrow rings.   6x6's sawn from the smallest logs possible of fast grown plantation pine will be primarily juvenile wood and juvenile wood behaves poorly in drying.  Small but old trees with slow growth rate will behave much better as there will be less juvenile wood as a % of the total volume of wood. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I sawed 8 - 6 X 6's for my porch deck when I built the house 12 years ago.  A couple twisted some.  Its noticeable at the base where the deck floor meets the post, and at the ceiling.  Also where the railing butts to the post.  When I trimmed it out I cut boards to accommodate the twist, but if you look close enough one can see its not square.  The post also twisted a slight bit more after installation and further drying.  Real small gap showed up.

Sounds bad, but not really enough twist to worry about unless one is looking for it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

In the big scheme of things, a little twist is not the worst thing that we have to deal with in life :).  There are bigger fish to fry.  

Magicman

If the bark has slipped they will be much less likely to do bad things.

I very much prefer sawing bark slipped SYP logs into framing lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

That aging in SYP does make a big difference.  

chet

Us old folks have a much harder time ta twist or move than them fast growin' kids do too. I guess age effects us just like it does wood.   :D   And now Magicman has me worried about my bark slippin'.   :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: chet on April 28, 2022, 10:08:03 PM
Us old folks have a much harder time ta twist or move than them fast growin' kids do too. I guess age effects us just like it does wood.   :D   And now Magicman has me worried about my bark slippin'.   :o
Just be happy you are not spalting.....yet.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

at least your limbs are not falling off!  :o   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chet

OK,  enough already   :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

doc henderson

at least our humor is rooted in trees!   ;) :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!