iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I just passed on 5 FREE black walnut trees

Started by Downstream, July 22, 2017, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Here is the setup.  daughter texted me that a guy at work(she does not know him) has 5 black walnut trees that he wants gone.  You cut down and take wood and the homeowner will push what you dont take into his burn pile.  I went to see them today and they range from 14", 20", 24", 24", and 30+" in diameter.  House and other structures far enough away to not be a problem.  They are along his property line next to a strip of ground that has been bought by developer.  This guy is going to fence in back yard after trees are gone.   The strip will become a road to get back to 60 acre subdivison. 
Here were my concerns
1. Guy said the trees were on edge of his property, but how to be sure?  He had another friend take 4-6 other trees down already along same line but that guy is supposedly overflowing with firewood so does not want anymore?  I don't need to get into boundary squabble between land owner and developer.
2. Lots of barb wire/fencing running the length of tree line so high probability I find wire/metal in trees?
3. Tree trunks had some areas that seemed to be oddly shaped so maybe hollow spots or rot areas?
4. First limbs were 10' max except on small diameter tree.  There were definately higher up trunks and limbs I can get slabs out of though.
5. I make my money selling live edge slabs and live edge furniture; not cutting down trees?
6. The largest tree was too big for me to get live edge slabs from main trunk and probably about as big as I can even move.

What do you guys think.  I hate to pass up walnut trees but seemed like a number of question marks.  I told the guy I would think about it but probably going to pass.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

mike_belben

Are they straight enough for saw logs?  $2/bd foot here
Praise The Lord

Chop Shop

WV Sawmiller

If I wanted the logs and felt comfortable cutting them where they are I would get a release from the landowner certifying the trees were on his property and cut them. I'd think if there ever was a dispute that would stand up in court that i cut them in good faith and shift the risk to him. You might ask the developer for a release for double insurance since it is highly unlikely he wants the trees there anyway.

If I was worried about a fence I'd cut them over 4' above ground or cut them down, look  for/run a metal detector over the butt log and cut off bottom 4-5 feet if looked or sounded shaky.

Good luck - stay careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Go for it.
Walnut is scarce in my parts,
so I take em when I can get em
Hardware or not.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TKehl

I've got quite a bit of walnut in the woods, but I still take any free one I can reasonably get.  (IE not near a structure or power line.)  Just stay above the metal, unless you like gambling.   

I'd jump on it.   8)

If you're not in a hurry, I may even be able to help you with that big one.  My wife is always looking for a reason to visit her relatives in Springfield, IL.   ;)  Big ones can be valuable even if short or have some rot.  Just call it character and charge more.   ;D

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!