iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replacing rin on Husqy

Started by kelLOGg, October 18, 2010, 05:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I need advice on replacing the rim on my Farm Tough saw. I've tried a sharp blow on a wrench with no success. Bailey's sells a piston stop but is that OK to use  on a slanted spark plug hole? Seem to me the piston would contact only the edge of the stop and could crack the piston head. Is an air wrench the better way to go? If I use an air wrench do I immobilize the flywheel to any degree or is the speed/impact of the socket sufficient to loosen it?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

John Mc

I've seen a couple of folks on here recommend using a piece of rope as a piston stop. Just feed some in through the spark plug hole. I'll let someone else jump in with the particulars on this, since you do need to be careful not to get the rope caught in the exhaust port (if I'm remembering the description correctly). You do know that most of these are left hand thread to remove the clutch assembly? Turn clockwise to loosen.

I would not try to clamp the flywheel... too much chance of damaging it or shearing the key that holds it in place.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

NCFarmboy

Use  your impact.  Remember left hand threads on the clutch.  Put impact to tighten side.  Give short burst or else clutch will fly all over shop.  Don't ask how I know.  Use reverse order for install.  By the way rope does work for hand removal of clutch.  You can punch hole in piston with piston stop.  I've stopped using stop for removing flywheel, now just use for porting to hold cylinder in the vise.  Never throw away a tool may have other uses.
Lots & Lots of Saws

Cut4fun

Quote from: NCFarmboy on November 07, 2010, 08:02:35 AM
now just use for porting to hold cylinder in the vise.  Never throw away a tool may have other uses.

Never thought about that. Thanks............ smiley_clapping smiley_beertoast smiley_crown_grin smiley_peace smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!