iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood stove in shed

Started by cb6048, September 22, 2009, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb6048

Hi I'm looking for a cheap way to vent my wood stove in my 20X16 shed. I have heated it in the last 3 years with an insulated pipe through the wall to a single wall tee and up 10-12ft with regular single wall stove pipe. This rots every year and produces so much liquid creosote that it runs back down the pipe into the shed and stinks ,not to mention the danger. I have been looking at class a stainless but it will cost almost 1000$ to do.......its a shed, is there a cheaper way to do this???? I'm thinking for like 300$?

Thanks for any help Pete
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

Ironwood

The thimble thru the wall or ceiling is the critical area. Make sure that is to regs. After that try to find some scrap yard stainless pipe, or HEAVY steel or aluminum. Weld a tee into the vertical so Creosote runs out and into the bottom of The tee not back into the stove or building, Creasote is usually is from choking off draft, wet wood or cool fire. Additionally, if your riser (vert)  is insulated you will have less build up as it is running HOT all the way to the top, a cool chimney will allow condensate, hence creosote.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

cb6048

Ironwood
Are you saying leave the bottom of the tee openair?
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

Ironwood

Not necessarily, it may kill your draft. But, do leave a good bit (several inches) of extentension below the turn to fill w/ the soot and creo. This also makes an easy cleanout. Remember the short the pipe the better the draft, fewest turns, and as little horizontal (at least 1/4" per foot or more) as possible. Hotter pipes/chimneys = less creo. This why a "modern" lined/ insulated non-masonary chimney is preferable to a "cold" unline tradiitonal chimney. You can slip an insulated pipe into a full masonary chimney, but you loose the "heat sink" nature of a properly built intertior masonary mass.   

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sprucegum

If you want to stay with single-wall pipe you need to stay inside the shed as long as possible. Best to go straight up to the roof and exit near the peak. One piece of  expensive insulated pipe, with the proper flashing, through the roof and you're good to go. Maybe one more piece on top to improve the draft.

You can do a turn to horizontal for a ways if your stove is not located under the peak but a 45 degree travel would be better.

Keeping the pipe inside keeps the heat inside the shed and helps the pipe stay warm so creosote won't form, like Ironwood said.

Thank You Sponsors!