iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Personal Introduction

Started by Mark Gibney, September 14, 2015, 11:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Gibney

I joined the forum yesterday, and posted a request looking for air dried oak in SoCal, and Magicman suggested I come on here and introduce myself.

I'm a woodworker, based in Los Angeles. Tables, desks, reception desks, credenzas, that's the sort of thing keeps me busy. Cabinetry too. I have a one man shop, so the only person who passes judgement on my works-in-progress is my boss, erm, wife. Good job she has a better eye than me.

I've been doing my fair share of live edge tables, as you know people like them right now, and SoCal is a good place to get this wood, there are all sorts of trees planted on streets and as landscape trees. I don't mill any trees myself, no room. But I'd love to live someplace some day where I can do this.

The next big project coming up for me is a kiln to sterilize lumber, so I'm happy to see there's a lot already on this forum about that.

Well that's about it.

Ox

Welcome to the forum, Mark!  You'll find the more you read and use the search function that this is indeed the best place on the internet.  Everyone is friendly and there's no such thing as a stupid question.  You won't get harassed or made to feel stupid here.  A bunch of stand up guys.  You can ask any question about anything and someone here will know the answer.  It may take a few days to get that right answer but it'll happen!

I can't help you with your lumber search as I'm on the other side of the country.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandhills

Welcome Mark, I can't help either but someone here will know, you found the right place.

coxy

welcome to the ff mark    you will never have to go to any other forum 

dgdrls

Welcome aboard,  great folks and wealth of knowledge.
Best part is everyone is polite and friendly.

Regards
Dan

samandothers

Welcome! I look forward to seeing your projects.

Ljohnsaw

Mark,
There is another new member from the LA area that does (or soon to be doing) urban milling.  I don't remember his name at the moment but I'm sure someone else here does.

Would love to see some pictures of your stuff. 

EDIT:  Found it - cjderosa  You can PM him.  Not sure how to do the @cjderosa linking thing to get his attention.  Cool - that was easy...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I will enjoy seeing pictures of some of your projects Mark.  Adding your location to your profile will help with future questions.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cjderosa

Thanks @ljohnsaw - you are quite correct in that we are in the process of building a kiln for our urban lumber company in Los Angeles.   Mark feel free to get in touch.  You can also see some of our progress on instagram @AngelCityLumber.  If I could figure out how to post pictures on this site I'd put some here too :-\

Thanks

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Mark.  Sorry I missed your introduction.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Left Coast Chris

Hello Mark,
Glad you have joined us.   You will find some good contacts here.   I'm in Northern Ca and have sawn a fair amount of yard trees.  A lot of good finds out there.   Would love to see some of your live edge tables. 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!