iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tool box

Started by ridge logger, January 28, 2011, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridge logger

Just wondering what you guys carry your saw tools and chains in. Iuse a old army box that works well and is water tight but you really cnt keep things organized in it, but it is tough.

chucker

respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Maine372

$3 plastic tool box from walmart. when it breaks i buy a new one. no great loss. weather proof isnt a big deal since it stays on the workbench or in the truck toolbox.

dad uses an old socket set box from back in the old days when they were made of metal. works real well. i used a short peice of angle iron to make a special place for it to ride on the tractor.

Bobus2003

extra Chains hang on the Fire Extinguisher on the cab, have a bar wrench stuck in a old Idiot light hole in the dash, gas and oil and saw all go out under the arch in that hole the JD440 has

SwampDonkey

Hunter's orange colored back pack, carries by tools, extra blades (brush saw), lunch, extra ear plugs and a tarp I put over my saw if I leave it on the back of a block. We sometimes have trails that are 600 yards from the road to the back of the work area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

I use the smaller ammo cans and a heavy canvas military bag with a zipper and handles sewn in for the tools and smaller spare parts that I keep in the truck bed.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mark K

Have a medium size ammo can welded to my skidder with tools, chains and spare gloves. Also have a big tool box built in under the seat on my Timberjack. Toolbox on my truck holds everything else.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

CX3

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 28, 2011, 09:54:43 PM
extra Chains hang on the Fire Extinguisher on the cab, have a bar wrench stuck in a old Idiot light hole in the dash, gas and oil and saw all go out under the arch in that hole the JD440 has
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CX3

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 28, 2011, 09:54:43 PM

That is too funny.  I put a file and scrench in the same hole, and carry my saw and gas in same place too ;D

As far as all the other stuff...I had a really neat old small craftsmen metal toolbox that I carried extra files, chains, wedges, gloves, safety glasses, lighter, and other junk.  That is until yesterday I was splitting wood at the log pile and ran slick over it with the Chevy :'(
You Better Believe It!

clww

I did something like that 2 years ago with my FAVORITE gas can   smiley_furious3 I dropped a tree limb on it and blew out the one side. I wanted to cry!  :'( I'd had that can since I was in high school.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

I have a gas can/tool box comb...that I have had for probably 25 or 30 years...the fuel can snaps on top...it only holds 1 1/2 gallon of fuel and has a bottom that will hold all the files and wrenches ...gloves or what ever you would need for an afternoon of cutting...I'll get a pic when I can, maybe tomorrow...I haven't seen one in a store around here in decades...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

clww

I've seen a couple of metal ones like that manufactured by Stihl in the 1970s for sale on eBay in the past 2 months. They were going for more than $75 each.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

No body is gonna get mine for $75.

Or $100, or $150 or......... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

That's like the ones I saw! They didn't have the memories yours has, though! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

No need for me to post a pic...that is it...And I won't sell mine either.... 8)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

CX3

Hey magicman, did you put all the use on that thing?  How old is it?  Never seen one myself.  Bet it was handy
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

I've seen them here years ago. Sometimes the lower half was used to catch the oil draining in a oil change.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 29, 2011, 09:45:00 PM
No need for me to post a pic...that is it...And I won't sell mine either.... 8)  Tim 

Come on Tim, lets compare scratches.

Quote from: CX3 on January 29, 2011, 10:09:37 PMdid you put all the use on that thing?  How old is it? 

You betcha,  every scratch is mine.  I bought it in the early 70's from the OTASCO store.  It never had any writing or graphics on it.  I carry two old "Sea Foam" cans of bar oil in as well as my stuff.  I haven't used it since this afternoon.  ;)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Ebay has a "Buy it Now" for $69.99 + $18.21 shipping.   :)

I didn't post a link, because it would have been a moving target.  Just search "Stihl gas can".

I'm not going to bid on it so one of you guys can grab it.  A 49.99 bid could buy it.

Banjo picker

O K you talked me into it...

The only problem with this set up is if you have to refuel that 084 many times you will be out of fuel...  ;D

I would say it was pretty close on the scratches an paint loss...Maybe we should start a poll and let folks vote on it... 8)  Tim

Magicman

No poll.  I Surrender Tim, I Give Up, Calf Rope, Uncle, You Win.   :D

You are correct about big saws and big jobs, but it is perfect for feeding a sawmill saw.   ;)

SwampDonkey

And a brush saw that only burns about 1 gallon in 8 hours of sawing. :D Actually, mine gets 1hr:20min in average cut'n and close to 2 hours in real light going. I can't burn a 5 gallon jug in a week and I cut a full 8 hours/day. Usually anything cut after Thursday noon and Friday is bonus if the cut'n isn't real nasty. ;D

CX3

Tim nice saws.  What are you packin there a 29, 66, and a 84???
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 29, 2011, 08:20:15 PM
the fuel can snaps on top...it only holds 1 1/2 gallon of fuel 

Tim, that is a difference between our cans.  Mine only holds 1 gallon.  The bottom is flush and doesn't actually fit inside of the tool box.  It fits on top of the tool box.

On the used ones on Ebay, I believe that the original one is a 1 gallon.  The refurbished one is a 1½ gallon.

clww

My 084 uses alot of gas, too! Nothing like the 090, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!