iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metavic grapple trailer with winch

Started by Fedge, August 21, 2015, 09:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedge

We bought a Metavic grapple trailer from Payeur about a year ago with the grapple and really like it. We have been considering adding the winch option to the trailer. Looking for some opinions on how well it works. We have also been considering a more traditional logging winch that that would mount on the tractor instead. I think that the tractor mounted winch would be more flexible but I can also see the advantage of pulling directly to the trailer as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

Ed_K

I have a reese hitch welded into the bottom of my Tajfun winch and pull my trailer with it. It's a little long this way and heavier on the 3 pt hitch but I've had no problems yet.
Ed K

Tarm

I have a Metavic grapple trailer also. The winch is very slow but comes in handy pulling in logs that you just can't get too. I'm just across the pond from you. Come see it work if you wish.

DaveP

Hello Fedge

I'm from Sturgeon Bay, also.  Would like to see that trailer.

DaveP

John Mc

I wish I had a Metavic Trailer with grapple... I do have a logging winch, which does have a spot to attach a trailer hitch. The hitch came standard with the larger winches, but not with mine. I ordered the part, and it bolted right on to mine. It's for a pin hitch, but I have put a ball in the hole from time to time. I eventually switched from the bolts to pins with clips, so I can remove it without any tools, to get it out of the way for winching (I can winch with it on, but the hitch gets battered by logs if I don't stop in time.) I regularly pull a trailer or log splitter behind my winch
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

woodmills1

I have a small metavic with an upsized loader and a head board winch, it is a very good combo for firewood work.  With bigger trees I cut a log or two and winch them if I cant move the whole tree.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Hilltop366

Perhaps it would another option would be to put a winch on the front of the tractor.

I think this is what FF member @Stephen Alford has done.

Stephen Alford

Hey fedge , the front mount works for me. Added some "usefull" weight to the front and kept overall length to a minimum. Usually have a 3 pt hitch grapple on the back. There are a couple of pics in my gallery if you have time to paruse.   :)
logon

woodmills1

The head board winch is around 5500 pounds, I also have a 10,000 pound front winch, but if the tractor is facing the wrong way it is easier to do two pulls with the head board.  If it is a large tree I am using the front winch to ease it down in the woods, so will use it to pull.  Then I still need to turn around to get out.  All said the metavic with KIoti forester is the best close to but not a forwarder.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!