iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 023

Started by MakitaDcs400, January 05, 2005, 09:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakitaDcs400

Could someone tell me what size engine a Sthil 023
 has ?  There is one in the local paper for sale and im just wondering what size it is to see if it is even worth my while to phone on it !  Thanks

MakitaDcs400

Im just wondering how durable these chainsaws are !  I might purchase one in the near future !   I cut saw logs and firewood.
The saw logs I cut can be bewteen 8 inches in diameter up to 30 inches in diameter.   Would you all reccomend this chain saw.  I could also buy a Stihl but the thing is I can get a Rancher 55 Cheaper than a comparable Stihl.   Im in need of a couple of saws !
Thanks

Steve

I  had one for over 15 years and it was great...

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Old_Town

I havea 55 R with a 20" bar and I really like it. I paid $288.50 for mine delivered with no tax. I tried to buy a Stihl but they where over $100 more than the 55.

Old_Town

Specifications

Cylinder displacement 3.2 cu.inch / 53 cm³    
  Power 3.3 hp / 2.4 kW    
  Maximum recommended engine speed 12 500 mm    
  Fuel tank volume 1.27 US pint / 0.60l    
  Oil tank volume 0.63 US pint / 0.30l    
  Oil pump type fixed flow    

Cutting equipment

Chain pitch 3/8"    
  Recommended bar length 13-20" / 33-50 cm  

11.4 lbs.

Woodhog

I bought one new for $400.00 CDN. I use it for my second saw.
I have an 18 inch bar on it and use it for the size wood (Spruce) you mentioned seems to be a nice little saw.

The only thing I dont like is there is no decompression valve
and it takes a real hard pull to get it going on a cold day, after it gets hot seems to start more easy.

I am all beat up, so if you are a young fellow the starting would
be no problem.

MakitaDcs400

Well im only 18 so I shouldnt have a problem with starting it.  Woodhog what is the main saw you use ? I have a 3 year old Makita DCS400 still runs good (needs a clutch now).  And I have a 1 month old poulan 2050 (that is in the shop getting a new engine dropped in under warranty) It would be nice to have a saw that has as much if not more power than the Makita. Thanks for the help !

hydro2

My buddy has a 55 Rancher and just loves it!!  My other buddy has a 353 Husky and I opted for that saw. I have not used it much yet.  Already cut 6 cords with a 31 year old Stihl O31 this fall for my outside woodstove and will be done until next season.
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

gizmo

My son has a Pro Mac and I bought a Rancher 55. The mac is much heavier than the 55. I'm happy with how it cuts. I use it to fell a tree now and then but mostly for cutting firewood. The last tree I cut was a Hollow Black Cherry and it almost got me. It was leaning real nice so I put the saw to it and started cutting. It was about 20" in diameter and I was sawing about 4 ft up from the base. I figured 1 good cut no notch and she'll drop real nice. When I almost got through it I stopped cutting (Bad Idea), it started leanining then popped back at me and it scared the living crap out of me. If I kept cuttin it would have gone down real easy. Any comments on cutting hollow stuff??

leweee

Gizmo.... make sure your  life insurance is paid up :o ::)
seriously now... always use a notch,even on a hollow tree ....special concideration on hinge size for type of tree....etc. Hollow trees  are always unperdictable. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Woodhog

Hope things are well on the Rock...

Here my main saws are Husky 357XP and a Jonsered 2159.
I use the 357XP everyday and use the others to keep the gas clean in them...

My standbys are the Husky 55 and a Jonsered 2054...

Seems like there is always a small problem with at least one of them.

The 357XP is the best performer of the lot.. It is very fast
for ripping the limbs off spruce trees. It turns up really fast and
I find it less likely to get pinched while bucking and limbing...

The 2159 turns up slower and sort of rumbles along compared to the 357XP...

The 55 and the 2054 seem about the same....

The 2159 and the 357XP both have decompression valves which I value most highly as my shoulders and arms are all
broken up..

The 357XP had been to the shop twice, once for a broken plastic clamp on the carb (factory defective) and once for replacement of the auto compression valve, the manual valves are better...
I always take two saws with me in case one gets jammed or just quits or if I hit a rock and mess up the chain...

I can only work about 4-5 hours per day now I try to cut two dragloads of  logs per day and get them to the landing with a farm tractor and winch..I carry both saws in boxes on the top of the flat tractor fenders...

Dont forget your snow shoes and shovel so you dont leave high stumps :D

MakitaDcs400

Woodhog  Things here on the rock are great !  As far as snow shoes and a shovel goes well we don't have much snow on the avalon penninsula YET !  We're supposed to get 10-15 cms of snow tomorrow followed by rain.  Hopefully the trail im hauling the saw logs out over will freeze up after the rain. As of now with some soft snow it is making it quite difficult to haul on (the trail is quite rough).  I can only haul 3 logs at a time with My 2001 350 4x4 Honda without getting stuck.  

Gizmo  I am by no means an expert but every tree from about 6 inches in diameter and up I notch .   I have seen many older so called professonals not do this and either jam their saw up or almost have the tree come back on them.   I usually asses a tree before dropping it, looking to see if it is leaning a particular way or to see if it has more limbs on one side than the other and then I make my decision on where to notch it.  You never want to cut through the hinge. Start your back cut 2 inches give or take above the notch and let her rip but don't cut all the way through as you notice the tree start to go over keep cutting until you are sure it will drop on its own. Make sure to leave some lumber in between the back cut and the notch (thats your hinge) .  This will help you have a controlled fall.

Oh and also never turn your back on a falling tree !
Thanks for the help guys and if any of you other guys have any tips for me as far as dropping trees let me know (I am far from professional).

gizmo

Leweee,
No problem on the life insurance. The wife pays mine religiously..Thought I'd save some time not notching that one. Looked innocent enough with the lean and all.

Thank You Sponsors!