iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joined the logrite fan club

Started by MattJ, August 16, 2015, 12:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

Quote from: deadfall on August 17, 2015, 12:08:59 AM
This is so embarrassing.

I don't see anything embarrassing about that. I think it comes down to what the OP was alluding to. If your current cant hooks and peaveys work, then continue to use them. In the case of the OP, the cant hook was not working (designed) properly. You can gamble and pick another manufacturer or you can buy a Logrite that is known to work and known to last.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

MattJ

Peter, I tried the resharpening but there was inherent flaws in the hook on the cheap peavy.  The angle was too far off and the metal was to thin to really get aggressive on recutting.  Then there is the fact the hook has tons of play and needed washers for shims, etc.  I was debating trying to heat it and totally rebend it but I'm not sure the quality of the steel.  I don't want it to fracture when my legs are next to a turning log.

thecfarm, the ball bearing test is easy.  Take a large marble size ball bearing and hold it a foot or more above the face and drop it.  A good anvil will bounce it 80% of the way back to your hand.  Go to harbor freight or the other not to be mentioned retailer and bounce it off their cast iron anvils.  It won't make it 50% of the way back.  The rebound is measuring the face hardness which is needed for efficient forging.  Good anvils have hardened steel faces.  Bad anvils are cast iron or non-hardenable steel.  They will be hard to use and will likely deform or crack.

Matt

beenthere

kbeitz
Agree, yours sounds like you are talking about a log carrier.

I noticed Norwood Industries have either Logrite tools painted orange or some "look-alike"s in their ad's. Wonder if they are Logrite?
@Tamiam .

http://www.norwoodsawmills.com/products-log-handling/cant-hook-peavey-log-carrier-lift-hook

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tam-i-am

Wow, thanks for all the praise. 
We are the original equipment manufacturer for Stihl, Gedore/Ochsenkopf, and Norwood.  TimberKing and WoodMizer also carry our tools.

One of our new members, Hogwild found this video.  I was LMAO when Wranglerstar was droning on about how the Germans designed such a great tool.  since Wranglerstar didn't do his homework to find out who actually makes and designed the tool, I was surprised he was able to tell that Kevin is German. ;D  Thanks to @Hogwild for setting him straight.

Enjoy the video.
https://youtu.be/4Zt-RkPdlJ4

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

WDH

Kbeitz,

I know that you don't want to hear it, but the Logrites are superior to the old wooden cant hooks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2015, 08:15:25 PM
Kbeitz,

I know that you don't want to hear it, but the Logrites are superior to the old wooden cant hooks.

It's not that I don't want to here it....
But...
I've use a lot of cant hooks and I have not found one that works better than my grandfathers...
But if you want to send me a Logrite I will give it a fair evaluation.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Kbeitz,go to a show where Logrite is. I know they will let you try one. You will be surprised. You talk about your grandfather using one.I talk about my Father using one. Lots of stories he told me. He went to war and came home and brought a tractor to make things easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Sometimes you do find a hook that is arched correctly.  In my Reply #24 above, the cant hook in the center that has a pipe handle is such.  Heavy as the devil, but will grab a log.  The others, not so much.

I still use the metal tube handled peavey on the bottom mostly as a pry pole.  For log handling, I much prefer cant hooks over peaveys.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MSSawmill

So, I was definitely pessimistic about all the hype on this site about Logrite, and I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to spend the extra money for one. I was just going to keep on using the cheaper, heavier, wooden handled ones I already had. And then, last Christmas, I was lucky enough to win a 60" Logrite cant hook here on the forum. And I was still skeptical, until the first time I went to grab one of those big pine logs! Where I would have had to jam one of those other cant hooks into the log at least twice to get a grip on the log, I was able to just kind of poke the Logrite at the log and it would bite and grab!

So yeah, now it's the one I grab every time I need to roll a log. We went and got a load of oak just this past weekend, and that's the only hook that came out of the truck. It was with me as I was helping put logs on the forks of the tractor, and it was there to help roll the logs onto the stack on the trailer. And the same thing when we got home and moved the logs to the racks...
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

deadfall

Like Poston says, "I'm thinking...."

QuoteLINKING TO OR DISPLAYING OFFSITE PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE READ FORUM RULES ON POSTING PHOTOS.

Got it.  Won't happen again.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Brian C.

We haven't used any wood handled ones, only logrites. I don't think I want to try any others. We beat the devil out of them and they keep on a tickin', or turning'.

Jeff

Having been around cant hooks my entire working life, using wood handled ones up until logrite discovered the forum I can say that BL, (Before Logrite) I didn't have a clue about the inadequacies of the BL cant hooks. Having been through the experience in a commercial level using BL tools, including a set of double black eyes completly swollen shut from a failed wooden handled cant hook many years ago I can truthfully say that I didn't have a clue.

I can also without a doubt say, that anyone else, that thinks the old wooden handled cant hooks or Peaveys, no matter from where or who they came from, or how good they think theirs works,  Aint got a clue.

Get a Logrite so you ain't clueless anymore. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

My Grandfather's cant hooks are stored out of the way.  Logrites are far superior  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

MattJ

Jeff, you brought up the reason I got mine...safety.  I really didn't trust the old one was going to hold when I needed it to hold and I mostly work by myself.  I don't want to pressure anyone into making any decisions, just wanted to pass along my experience and say if somebody has a chance to try one out give it a shot.  I have a feeling though you won't put it back down!

Magicman

I broke a couple of handles myself.  Matter of fact, that is why two of mine ended up with metal handles.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on August 18, 2015, 11:45:06 AM
Having been around cant hooks my entire working life, using wood handled ones up until logrite discovered the forum I can say that BL, (Before Logrite) I didn't have a clue about the inadequacies of the BL cant hooks. Having been through the experience in a commercial level using BL tools, including a set of double black eyes completly swollen shut from a failed wooden handled cant hook many years ago I can truthfully say that I didn't have a clue.

I can also without a doubt say, that anyone else, that thinks the old wooden handled cant hooks or Peaveys, no matter from where or who they came from, or how good they think theirs works,  Aint got a clue.

Get a Logrite so you ain't clueless anymore. :)

If I was hitting myself in the head, I would not use wooden ones either.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!