iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Question

Started by Jeff, September 13, 2005, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy and I are putting up a 12 by 16 building.  We are using 2 by 6 rafters and a ridge board, for roof construction. The pitch we want is 6/12 or a simple 45% cut. My question is, is there a forumla to figureing out where exactly to cut the "birds mouth" where the rafters sit on the wall. We will be spanning the 16 foot direction. The ridge board will be a 2 by 6 as well. It would be nice to cut all of these pieces in advance.  So far we have our bearing walls up. Still need to build the gable end walls before we get to the roof.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

Jeff,

If your rise over run is 6/12 then a cut of 45° is not going to work. That would be for a 12/12 pitch.

For a 6/12 I think you will need a 22 1/2° cut. If I understand what you are saying.  :D

A framing square is used to lay out the bird's mouth cut--held at 6" and 12".

Laying it out in AutoCAD would give you exact numbers but I don't have Acad on this computer. I suspect someone will have it for you before long though. If not, I will lay it out for you.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

DonE911

Good question....  Last time I  did a roof I cut 4 rafters to death until I got one right...   then I put it down on the floor and made a jig so every one was exactly the same....  I still messed up a couple of em... no idea how that happened.

mike_van

Doug is correct, a 45 will make the pitch 12/12.  Jeff, I use a framing square, they make 2 small brass knobs for it, on the outside edge you tighten one a 6" and on the long edge, one goes at 12".  Hold these against the edge of the rafter, you have your pitch angle. Works for stairs too.   There is a method for the length of the rafter called stepping off, I never learned it though. Easier for me was to cut the ridge cuts, lay the 2 rafters out flat with a piece as thick as the ridge board between them, then if your walls are 16' apart, lay a 16 footer across them, line it up good & even, mark the ends, thats where the birds mouth is.  The same angle set on the framing square will give you  both cuts for the birdsmouth.  Help any?????
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Gilman

Here's a 6-12

here, I bolded the dim I think you are looking for.

Note: 2 x 4 walls

Here's a 12-12 Ski Lodge, 2 x 4 walls.

Let me know if you need any changes to wall thickness, etc.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

I cant read it. :-\    I can make out 144" but I need it for the 16 foot, outside to outside.  THe ridge beamd will be 1.5 inches thick.

Gilman

Jeff

I'm pretty dense when it comes to that stuff, but I bet if I study this long enough I'll figure it out. :D

Thanks!  BTW, is it 22.5 degrees on my chop saw?

woodbeard

QuoteBTW, is it 22.5 degrees on my chop saw?
Probably, but the angle is not going to be 22.5 deg.
You will have to lay it out the way Mike explained.
Then you can measure the angle, and set your chop saw to it.

Furby

Yup, ya need to double check with a framing square and set the saw to that. Remember the angle though in case ya need it later.

Don P

Jeff, a 6/12 is 26.5 degrees...5/12 would be 22.5 (half a 45)...which are you wanting?

Gilman

Yep, it's 26.6 degrees

I like pictures  ;D

Don P

Try this calc out, I entered 95.25 (outside to outside 192" - 1.5" ridge) / 2.
http://www.ls.net/~windyhill/Calcs/raftercalc.htm
I then punched in 6...for 6/12
Then 0
and Show result

The plumb to plumb line length measured along the top or bottom edge is then given. It does give the same numbers as in a rafter table. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

I like to make "yokes" to hold my ridge in place temporarily while I build the roof. Setting them at the right height was always a little tricky for me.
This calc will give the height to cut a prop under the ridge. It places the bottom edge of the ridge flush to the Bottom edge of the rafter's plumb cut. That's the "correct" location for inspector types.

Furby

Sorry, I'm just a simple framer..........it doesn't make sense. ;)

DouginUtah

Jeff,

Do you want to have the inside open to the ridge or do you want to put a ceiling in so that you have a floor for an attic, with that additional storage space.

If you don't put a floor in, there is nothing tieing the bearing walls together. Weight on the roof (snow load) would try to squash the roof down and push out the walls.  The ridge board, supported at each end, will be all that is supporting the weight of the roof. It is only 12' but I doubt that a 2x8 would be adequate.

Now it's getting trickier. Attic floor joists would have to run the 12' direction so they wouldn't tie the walls together--just the flooring (OSB) would tie it. Maybe, this just being a shed, you could run the joists 16' but it would definitely be a spongy attic floor. Decision time!

-Doug
(I suspected that cutting the slope in half wouldn't make the angle half. Glad I said "I think you will need..." I always plot these out in CAD and dimension the angle.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

isawlogs

Doug
  that could be solved with some collar ties .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

there is not going to be "attic" but there will be cross beams down about one and a half feet from the peak leaving a cathedral like ceiling.  I want a 6/12 pitch as that is supposedly what our house is.

Don P

Furby, try this one.
http://www.ls.net/~windyhill/Calcs/rftllclc.htm
It was an "earlier" model
If its still not clear give me stronger hints  :).

If those purlins are well supported in the endwalls and stout enough they can act as structural support and do the job just fine.

106.5" plumb to plumb, Jeff.

isawlogs

How many collar ties you putting in  Jeff  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Rafters every 16 inches and coller tie on every rafter. Plan on insulating, and finishing with t and g pine at some point on the inside.

Don_Papenburg

A stick clamped to the framing square works better than the little brass buttons .  Gives a better bearing surface. 
I would use a 2x10 for the ridge board ,asa a minimum. I hate swayback roofs.
The closer that you place the collar ties to the wall plate the better they perform.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jeff

I actually need something wider then a 2 by 6. so the rafters contact the whole ridge board. I knew that, but wasnt thinking.  I think two by 8 should be plenty.

Furby

Don, I like the second one better, thanks!
I don't do any more figuring then I need to, I just cut and make it work! ;)

isawlogs

Furby

Thats what I did on my shop .. use a sacrificial peice and make it fit . Works every time  ;D

Marcel

Frank_Pender

The this thread is going, I am waiting to see the roof of many angles. :D  I am just an old retired teacher that can't even spel. :'(
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!