iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a bigger chainsaw

Started by Stick, September 06, 2014, 04:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stick

I will be picking up my MP-32 Cooks Sawmill in a couple weeks. I need a bigger chainsaw for some of the pine and cedar logs I will be harvesting to supply the mill most of the trees will be in 18'' to 24'' range but there are a few that will be in the 30'' to 36'' range. I need some advise on what brand of saw you all would purchase and what size for the jobs I have described, I want a high quality chainsaw that is going to work more than be worked on.

Ianab

Well taking down a 36" tree is practical with a 20" bar, and any decent 60cc saw will pull that fine.

If you want bigger I have as 28" bar on a Dolmar 7900 (7901 now?) That's a pretty light weight but pro grade 79cc saw.

What dealers do you have locally? Stihl or Husky, various models that will get the job done. Other brands? They don't seem to have the top models in the over 60cc range.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

celliott

What other saws do you already have?
I'd say a good 70cc saw, will pull a 20" bar well, and can run a 28" or larger occasionally.
Or step up to the 90cc class, husky 390xp stihl ms660. Those saws will run a 30"+ bar better, but be heavier with a 20" or so bar. Both class saws would run a 24" pretty well.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Stick

I have a husky and a stihl dealer close. I currently have just a small husky with a 16 bar not sure the model number but it is just a small fire wood saw.

Ianab

Well technically you can gnaw down a 36" tree with a 16" chainsaw if you have to, but I agree you probably want a bigger saw. ;)

If you like the Huskys then a 372XP would be a good option, 70cc, pro grade saw. Can run a 28" bar, and keep your little saw as a backup and limbing saw.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stick

You like the husky better than stihl?

bandmiller2

I would rather own a Stihl but would rather work on a husky. I have half and half boath are good whichever dealer you feel more comfy with. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Stick

Thanks a lot guys you have been a big help.

clww

I operate a Stihl 460/461 daily running either a 20" or 25" bar. Plenty of power for cutting trees up to 48" diameter in the 75 ci class saws.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

luvmexfood

I just purchased and Echo 590 with a 20" bar. So far I am very satisfied with it. Got mine for $389. You can read through the forums and they get good reviews.

May not be big enough for what you want. In the owner's manual they list an Echo part number for both a 24 and 27 inch bar for it. Don't think I would go the 27 but I might sometime get a 24" just for the ocassional big tree.

Course if it don't quit raining around here and dry up some I won't be needing anything.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Andyshine77

With what you're doing a larger saw is definitely the way to go.

The Stihl MS660 will have the power and is very durable. The downside to the 660 is weight, poor AV and it's at the end of it's production life.

The Dolmar 7900 is one of my favorite saws, but I think it's a little small for what you intend to do with it.

The Husqvarna 390xp has good AV, power, excellent balance, and manageable weight. The 395 has lots of grunt, great AV, and it's built like a tank. Only downside is the weight, it's every heavier than the 660.
Andre.

celliott

Quote from: Andyshine77 on September 06, 2014, 03:27:25 PM
With what you're doing a larger saw is definitely the way to go.

The Stihl MS660 will have the power and is very durable. The downside to the 660 is weight, poor AV and it's at the end of it's production life.

The Dolmar 7900 is one of my favorite saws, but I think it's a little small for what you intend to do with it.

The Husqvarna 390xp has good AV, power, excellent balance, and manageable weight. The 395 has lots of grunt, great AV, and it's built like a tank. Only downside is the weight, it's every heavier than the 660.

Definitely agree on your husky info, although I can't vouch for the others.
I have a 385xp (390xp predecessor) and it's almost like a fat 372xp. Very manageable, although the weight may tire some people. I recently picked up a 395xp (for almost exclusively milling, occasional blocking of large firewood logs) and it's like a cinderblock. Large and heavy. Haven't ran it yet but it seems very well built and should have oodles of power.
For 28" bar work consistently, 390xp  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

bandmiller2

Most of us tend to over estimate the size of the trees  we're cutting. Too big a saw is as bad as too small, luckily economics steps in and we don't get the huge heavy saw we wanted. A mid power saw with a 20" bar will handle anything we should be milling, and still be handy for 90% of what we need a saw for. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JohnG28

For that kind of stuff I'd go 75cc+. Stihl 461 (or 460 if still available) would be good bet. I keep a 24" bar on mine and it'll handle that buried fine, haven't had a bigger bar on it. Or you could go to the big 90cc saws. I will say the previous posts are true on weight, I've run a 660 and it gets heavy real fast. Heck of a saw though. Or the mentioned Husky saws in that range also, but I have no experience with them. Happy saw buying,  and pictures of your purchase would be great!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Stick

I am currently overseas working at the moment but I will be home and have my mill on 15-Sep-14 so I will post pictures of the saw and the mill. I almost feel like I used to when I was kid on Christmas Eve lol.

mikeb1079

i'm gonna put in a vote to NOT get anything larger than a 70cc saw.  i have several and you really don't need a 90cc saw to cut 24" trees with the occasional larger log thrown in. a lot of guys want the big saws b/c they're cool and they can throw chips but trust me they get HEAVY after a while.  personally i'd rather have a saw that's a tad too small every once in a while then one that's way too big all the while.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Andyshine77

Weight is always an issue, and it takes it's toll on the body. With that said a saw like the 390xp isn't all that much heavier than a 372. Now the Dolmar 7900/7910 has 95% the power of a 90cc with the weight of most 70cc saws. However we have issues like bar oil output, the maximum bar length for a 7900 is about 28" to 32" after that the oiler can't keep up.

So if you mostly cut logs 28" and under, definitely go with a 70cc model. The two most used saws I have right now, my 346xp and Dolmar 7900. My Dolmar 421 has seen quite a bit of work this year as well. Crazy power for 42cc.
Andre.

Hitchcock Woods

The 372xp is a great saw with a 20'' bar as well as MS 391 with 20''.  We also run a MS 441 with a 25'' bar for bigger trees.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

rooster 58

I have a Stihl 460 and 660 both. My go to saw is the 460. If I will be sawing large diameter trees all day, I'll grab the bigger saw. Like others have mentioned, the extra weight of the 660 is the reason I use the smaller saw.
      The largest tree that I remember felling was a white oak that was 46" at the stump. I felled it with an 044 with a 20" bar. Keep your chain sharp, and the 460 will perform very well indeed ;)

sawdusty1

I run a husqvarna 372 xtorq 24" bar with full chisel chain and it is a beast.  It would be great for your application.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Stick

I bought a 372 husky with. 24" bar and used it a little when I got it home and you are right it is a beast, I love it.

Maine logger88

congratulations on your new saw! Can't go wrong with a 372 there one of the best saws ever made!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!