iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber framing books

Started by timberfaller390, May 05, 2008, 10:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Hey yall I'm not a timber framer but I would like to learn a little about it. Can yall suggest any good "how to" books. I want to build a new barn on the place and wood like to timber frame it. I know a book isn't the best place to learn from but it'll get me started, or at least a better idea of what all I'll have to do.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

Jim Rogers has a book list somewhere, maybe he can dig it up for you.

I am a diehard "Sobonite", or traditional, timber framer (in training). I would recommend either "Timber Frame Construction" or "Build a Classic Timber Frame House". Both cover the basics like tool selection and maintenance, layout and hewing. Both books also cover tree species selection, and have full joint details. The first book, known as the shed book or the red book, covers the building of a 12'x16' garden shed, and the second, often referred to as the house book or white book, has complete frame plans for an 18'x36' Hall and  Parlour house.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

I would second Dave's suggestions.  Those 2 books will take you far.  Also view as many old buildings if any in your area, first thing that comes to mind is old tobacco barns, you living in  Georgia I am guessing there must be some around.  What is the purpose of your barn?  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

Do a search using the word "book" and select timber framing section only and you'll find my posted list of books I recommend to read.....

There is lots of information here you just need to find it....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

Some books are more home design idea books, while others are more practical information in the craft.  I assume that this is what you want.  I recommend Steve Chapell's "The Timberframe Workshop", Jack Sobon's "Build a classic Timberframed House", and Tedd Benson's "Building the Timberframe House".  All should be available on Amazon.  Additionally there are more technical books available from the Timber Framer's Guild (tfguild.org).  I also recommend the forums on the TFguild.org website.  The people on that forum as well as this one are a wealth of information, often much you won't find in books.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

timberfaller390

Quote from: moonhill on May 06, 2008, 05:49:54 AM
I would second Dave's suggestions.  Those 2 books will take you far.  Also view as many old buildings if any in your area, first thing that comes to mind is old tobacco barns, you living in  Georgia I am guessing there must be some around.  What is the purpose of your barn?  Tim
Not any tobacco barns here I'm in cotton and corn country. I still make part of my living from our farm so the barn is going to be for live stock, equipment storage,an office and probably have an apartment in it some where. Im going to help a friend who is in the log cabin business tear down and re-erect a 130 year old TF barn this summer. Also what spieces would be best for this project
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

What species do you have? I would take stock of what trees are available to you, and see which will work best for your frame. Are you building a building seperate from the one you are taking down? Oak, chestnut and hemlock were used often around here, but there are many that will work. I like working fresh hemlock, but it will be a bit splintery in a frame.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

Timberfaller, sorry for the bad guess on the tobacco barn, I almost guessed cotton.  Would tobacco be more North?  The experience with the 130 year old barn will be worth more than what a book can give in some ways.  Sounds like a good use for a barn.  Tim

Thehardway

Timberfaller,  based on your location I would assume EWP, Oak and SYP are readily available and all are ideal for TF use. The pines are a bit more stable and lighter but require slightly larger cross section and therefore larger logs.  I would suggest W.oak for sills R. Oak for the posts/braces and pine for the horizontal members.  I might recommend taking a drive to Old Salem, NC.  It isn't that far from you and it would be very educational.  All of the buildings there are TF and you can go in some of the barns and see the joinery work.  Take a camera.  You are also quite near to Franklin, NC which has a fair number of TF shops.  Many of them offer engineered plans and several have classes you can attend.

Good luck and welcome.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

timberfaller390

Yeah tobacco plantations are more toward middle Tennessee and Kentucky I can lay my hands on white pine and yellow pine ,white oak and poplar pretty easy. What would I need to do to preserve the wood or do I need to worry about that?
I have been to old Salem and about every historic structure between here and Gettysburg Pennsylvania, but it took a couple years and its been several years ago. My barn is an addition to our current barn which is a typical southern Appalachian barn cedar posts rough cut frame tin top and sides. the 130 year old barn is a completely different project I'm helping a buddy with to gain some experience.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

moonhill

Use all of them and as a challenge come up with three more.   Tim

Dave Shepard

Quote from: moonhill on May 09, 2008, 09:20:29 PM
Use all of them and as a challenge come up with three more.   Tim

:D :D

Dave

Thehardway

timberfaller,

Most TF is done while wood is still in its "green" state without preservation.  W.Oak is very rot resistant which is why it is recommended for sills. If placed on a masonry foundation with proper drainage you should not need any treatment.  If your area poses high risk for termite infestation you may want to do some ground treatment and give the sills a good dose of tim-bor or another borate based preservative.

Moonhill,
I am in centralVA and we have an abundance of tobbacco barns here, most of them are in the southern Piedmont regions from Richmond and WIlliamsburg, VA. southward to Charleston, SC and west to Charlotte, NC and Winston/Salem NC. It dissapates in the mountains and then resumes on the Tennesee Valley side.

Cotton was also grown in the Piedmont area.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

timberfaller390

Most TF is done while wood is still in its "green" state without preservation.
Does it matter if the logs are dry before I cut them into timbers or do they need to be fresh off the stump?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

The fresher the better for workability, however they will move more than drier timbers.

Dave

moonhill

The hard way, can you tell us more on the tobacco barns?  I am wondering if the color/patina of the timber is different than an animal or hay barn?  What did they use the barns for specifically for, drying, curing, storage?  In all the books I have read I have not come across tobacco barn usage, it has left me curious.   Tim

timberfaller390

I'm not in tobacco country but I know a little about it. They are used for drying and storage the baccer is cut and put into shocks in the field and sun dried for a bit then the shocks are hung in the barn to finish curing out until they are hauled to the buyer or used buy the grower. Some old farmers here grow just enough to chew and burn in their bee smokers.
How much warp am I going to be looking at? Do yall think there would be enough to have to replace a timber ?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!