iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dyna Tech Bandmill

Started by wls, February 05, 2007, 06:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wls

I'm in the beginning of looking for a bandmill, and noticed a manufacture close to me, in the mid-mich area. They are called dyna tech, (made by amish). I'm checking out the DT32, it has a 13 honda on it. Was wondering if any one has any pros/cons on them, or better yet if anyone has this brand of mill. Thanks

jgoodhart

If you could post a few good pictures of the mill would help.

wls

Quote from: jgoodhart on February 06, 2007, 04:12:22 PM
If you could post a few good pictures of the mill would help.
Here's one on ebay, there built about 40 miles from me.

bandmill link

Furby

I've never seen one of these mills in person, but I did go look at the link.
I would look real close at similar mills by other manufacturers.
They are only using 16" band wheels, that's pretty small.
They show very little of the frame, dogs/clamps and stuff in there pics.
Not saying not to buy from them, just that based on what I have seen on other mills, this type would not be my first choice.

ChopperDave

I've been looking for a mill in the $7k range and think I have looked at every possible manufacture out there.  For some reason I stayed away from Oscar and this mill.  Maybe there use of ebay to sell there products. 

There are an awful lot of quality mills out there to pick from.  I purchased a used Timberking at about $6k.  I went an visited a TK owner in the area and seen his mill in action.

I wanted to keep my cost below the 7k and a used mill will work for what I want to do with it. 

Good luck in your search!
2005 timberKing 1220 20hp Kohler

Burlkraft

Them mills ain't too far from Jeff...
Why not just 1 pain free day?

wls

What I like about it, is the frame, where the rollers slide, alot heavier then some with angle iron for runners.  Clamps/dogs are what I have seen on other mills, flat steel. The hardware store is listing them on ebay, there made by amish, all they have is a phone, no web site. They also make a post/rail processor,chopsaws, lineshaft tenonor, post pointers, post peelers/sanders, edgers, and tenon cutter heads and other wood related items. Very interesting, the amish around here can not use any modern tools, was weird to see one strike an arc.
Back to the bandmill, you can get hyd dogs, leveler, log loader, squaring arm, turner and other options. Another thing I like is the closness of the shop, if parts are needed.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm thinkin 16" wheels will cause a LOT of blade fatigue-breakage.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Have you looked at Norwood?

If you are gonna spend as much as you are talking and then add the hyd stuff, why not just buy a used mill that is beter designed?

The runners don't matter much, it's the frame you need to pay attention to.
The 16" wheels will probly break blades faster as DeadHeader said.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to get you to actually compare stuff better.
I guess if you are gonna be replacing stuff on it all the time, being close to the manufacture would be a good thing. :)

wls

Norwood looks like a good mill, actually all of them look good, alot alike. That was the first thing my brother said also, the diameter of the wheels.

logwalker

I had a mill with 16" wheels and I never got but 3 or 4 sharpenings out of a blade. Norwood has  has always got good reviews except for the time it takes to assemble. I got a hydraulic WM LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment and lapsider and blades for $10,500. At least twice the production and half the work of those you are looking at. And 5 years from now it will be worth more than I paid. Can't beat that by gum. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Furby

Do you plan to move the mill a lot?

If you want to see an older Norwood in person, I'm about 2 hours from Jeff's place and you are welcome to come on down, but highly suggest you wait till the weather breaks so we can get to the mill. ;)

The other types of mills, you are going to need to dig up owners and go take a look.
Seeing them in person is really the best way to do it.

wls

Quote from: Furby on February 06, 2007, 09:17:25 PM
Do you plan to move the mill a lot?

If you want to see an older Norwood in person, I'm about 2 hours from Jeff's place and you are welcome to come on down, but highly suggest you wait till the weather breaks so we can get to the mill. ;)

The other types of mills, you are going to need to dig up owners and go take a look.
Seeing them in person is really the best way to do it.
That would be great, I've been to a few logging shows, but never really paid much attention to the mills, whereas my brother has more knowledge on them. What norwood do you have. The video on them was pretty good.
will have to let me know when you will be sawing. I live in the same city as Jeff

Furby

I have a Silvacraft Mark 3, it was made just before Norwood bought out the company and changed the name.
1995 I think it was. It's not real different from the current models, but there are some differences.

I saw just for fun, so I can saw anytime, but you can just barley make out where the mill is right now and can't move the logs due to all the snow. ::)
So stay in touch.

wls

Rail-O-Matic

Before you make any firm decissions on buying a mill check out this web-site, it is very interesting indeed.

www.alaskabandsawmills.com
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

Michigan Mike

I have one of these mills. I haven't had it long enough to form any long time use opinions. I think for the price I got a pretty good  mill. I would suggest you consider the hydraulic blade tensioner. It is something I don't have but will probably get.

wls

Quote from: Michigan Mike on February 07, 2007, 07:30:14 AM
I have one of these mills. I haven't had it long enough to form any long time use opinions. I think for the price I got a pretty good  mill. I would suggest you consider the hydraulic blade tensioner. It is something I don't have but will probably get.
Are you talking about the dyna?

wls

Quote from: Furby on February 06, 2007, 10:33:02 PM
I have a Silvacraft Mark 3, it was made just before Norwood bought out the company and changed the name.
1995 I think it was. It's not real different from the current models, but there are some differences.
Are the differences for the better or worse, in your opinion? thanks

Michigan Mike

Yes I have a dyna tech mill.  Ask any questions you want I just haven't used the mill enough to give any long term use answers. Also I don't have any experience with other mills. If you want to make a trip down south of Kalamazoo come spring I would be glad to show you the mill.

sawmilllawyer

:P, I saw the Dyna Tech on the Ebay site was curious about it. Maybe someone can enlighten us on this mill. Also, does anyone know anything about a Keener built band saw mill?
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

wls

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on February 07, 2007, 10:47:43 PM
:P, I saw the Dyna Tech on the Ebay site was curious about it. Maybe someone can enlighten us on this mill. Also, does anyone know anything about a Keener built band saw mill?
what I've gather so far is that the wheels are on the small side.

Furby

Well I'm not sure really as I've never cut with a newer one.
I'm sure some of the changes are probly for the better.
One thing is the extra width board, they can now cut up to a 24" board where mine will just do 21".
That's a difference I could use, but ya gotta have some power to do that cut as well.

Bob_T

From looking at the dyna pictures it looked like there was plenty of room for bigger wheels.  It might be worth asking them about what it would cost and if it's possible to get 18" wheels as an option.

Bob
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

Thank You Sponsors!