iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Case 1845C Skid Steer Wheel Bearing - Advice or Pointers ?

Started by Warren, March 21, 2010, 07:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

One wheel on the Case skid steer has developed a "lean".  Assumng it is NWBT - New Wheel Bearing Time.   Any advice or pointers from people who have "been there, done that" before I tear into it ?

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

stonebroke

At least do both on that side. Better is to do all four, the others are on the way. Also check the chains while you are into it.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

We hold the world record for Case 1845C wheel bearings, as well as for 1835 wheel bearings. I would only do the ones that are bad, as there is no time savings to do more than one at at time. Jack up the machine, take the wheel off, take the six nuts off that hold the hub, loosen the adjuster. Open up the chaincase cover at the appropriate wheel and remove the cotter pin and nut holding the sprocket on. Slide the sprocket off the shaft, you may have to take the chain off. Pull the hub out and change the bearings and seal. Reverse procedure. We have probably changed between 40 and 50 Case wheel bearings since we started running them in the late 70's. We stock at least one bearing kit at all times, we can't be without the machine for very long.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stonebroke

red oaks lumber

im not familiar with case but, doesn't the front hub and rear hub share the same oil bath connected with drive chains? if so you have to change both bearings along with hdry oil to make sure you got all the metal filings from the old bearings.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

There is a grease seal on the hub. The oil bath is only an oil bath in theory. It is often more of an oil, water and corn silage bath. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stonebroke

Dave is right, the oil bath is for the chains not the bearings.

Stonebroke

ladylake

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 21, 2010, 09:22:02 AM
We hold the world record for Case 1845C wheel bearings, as well as for 1835 wheel bearings. I would only do the ones that are bad, as there is no time savings to do more than one at at time. Jack up the machine, take the wheel off, take the six nuts off that hold the hub, loosen the adjuster. Open up the chaincase cover at the appropriate wheel and remove the cotter pin and nut holding the sprocket on. Slide the sprocket off the shaft, you may have to take the chain off. Pull the hub out and change the bearings and seal. Reverse procedure. We have probably changed between 40 and 50 Case wheel bearings since we started running them in the late 70's. We stock at least one bearing kit at all times, we can't be without the machine for very long.

Dave, sounds like you could do one in your sleep.  I knew the 1835 bearing went out often in mud but didn't know the 1845  was bad too.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Warren

All,
I appreciate everyone's input.   Going to tear down the known problem.  Will also do a "wiggle test" on the other bearing, same side.  If no wiggle, then pass on the second bearing (minimize time AND money).

Dave,
Appreciate the instructions based on experience.    8)

Thank you,

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Dave Shepard

You won't have to break any of the chains, if you back the slack adjuster off, there should be plenty of room to slip it off the sprocket. How is your machine used? Ours runs in the cow barn every day, so the hubs are always covered in manure. After awhile, the nuts will rust pretty bad, so you might be fighting those off.

Warren

Dave,
Bought the machine two or three years ago with mid-8,000 hrs on the machine and new cummins 4cyl.  Use it to move logs, lumber, slab bundles under 2,500 lbs. Also bulk material mover, just spread 100 tons of fresh gravel with it two weeks ago.  It gets in the mud occassionally.  But, mostly is used on open ground, gravel, clay, wood chips.   Nothing corrosive like cow manure...

Currently has just over 9,000 hrs.  Have repacked a couple cylinders and replaced a leaking hose.   But, this is the first "break".    Not surprised that a bearing finally gave up the ghost given the number of hours.  Just goes with the territory. 

All in all, I have been very pleased with the unit. Previously, had a Ford CL340 with 4 cyl Wisconsin and about a 1,200 to 1,400 lb tip load.  Before that, packed it all by hand.  If I were to change, it would be to a true track machine with higher tip load.  But that gets into serious dollars...

-w-

Dave Shepard

I think the 1845C is one of the best skid loaders ever made. Not fancy by any means, but very smooth, which the Case machines have always been. I used to run a T300 Bobcat track machine, a real beast, but it had an emotional problem and went nuts and ate a trailer. Got replaced by a big Takeuchi that is even bigger. :D

barbender

Was the emotional problem the one where the loader controls mutiny and do what they please?
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Yeah. It also had supports on the back for the tree spade, and I think they were shoved through the trailer deck. All I know is it got replaced pretty quick. :D

Thank You Sponsors!