iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark center pin fix, any tips?

Started by lshobie, March 30, 2017, 08:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lshobie

Hey guys, This board is amazing for the help I've been getting.  We have about 3 more weeks of cutting and then I'm going to start some much needed overhaul on my Clark 664C.  The hinge/center pins are worn badly and there is lots of slop...the pins are worn and i have have those made easily and I have a new spherical type bearing for it but I'm wondering what others do about the upper and lower "plates" or brackets for each pin - they look egged out.  Is there a bushing on those that I can replace or would I have to repair or replace  both of them.?

Thanks!

Louie
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

treeslayer2003

you will need a machine shop to make ya some repair donuts. give them a new bushing so they can size it right, it needs to be a press fit.
you will also need new bronze washers and steel shims. hint, the bronze washers are what really holds the bushing in place.

lshobie

Thanks for the info, so will we have to cut the brackets off to have the new repair donuts installed? machine them out and press in?
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

bushmechanic

Cutting the plates off would be the last resort. You could get someone to line bore the plates and then install some bushings to bring it back to correct size. But the weldments or doughnuts can be welded in after you torch out enough material to get them into place. I have used both methods but prefer line boring.

Oliver05262

Line boring can be an expensive proposition if there isn't competition to keep prices in line. The ONE guy in this area knows that he's the only game in town, and isn't afraid to charge. Still, what are your options?
  924F Cat loader, wear in the front half of the lower hinge. Two plates; different size bores because the lower one has a bushing in it. Perhaps 2" or so of total width to build up and bore out. He estimated about 5 hours for the job, and came out pretty close.
  Inside a steel building with a concrete floor, but no heat except a LP space heater to heat the air around the work area. So not ideal work conditions, but it is inside, in Northern Berkshire county, in mid-March.
  His bill was $1150, but he would and did take $1000 cash.
  You can rent the tooling, but the learning curve is steep and not worth it for one hole..............Maybe someone else can be found next time.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!