iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another question for the WM guys

Started by delvis, October 03, 2014, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

I thought of another question for the WM guys.  This is for anyone that has a mill with the stationary command control.  Have you come up with a better tool to help support the caterpillar while travelling than the tray device thing that WM gives you?  We're looking at building something but I like to check here for ideas first.  Thanks again folks.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

backwoods sawyer

father time has allowed it to sag a bit.
Also known as Agis track.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

drobertson

Did not see the need, I like the simple things that work.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

The thing woodmizer clips to the main rail and holds the track up there during travel, so it doesn't sag down in the middle like in the picture.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

backwoods sawyer

After they get run up and down the rail for a few 1,000 hrs they do get a bit loose. This is the second track on this mill.
This mill came without a track track suport and the lower track suports it after it wears enough to sag. If I stuck the suport in it now it would still droop down to the lower rail on both sides of it from wear ::)

I keep a spair 3' section in the truck as when the plastic wears out they fall apart. That is a stop right now situation as you don't want to pull wires apart. I have gone thru and drilled holes in the center at the pivot point and added a short bolt with washers and locknut to each side of the first few closest to the control box as that is the stress point on them.

sticks getting in the track is something to watch for, if the head catches a 1x2 that is sticking out of it it will pop apart. A pair of chanel locks works real good to snap it back together.

We were doing some up grades in the production mill and about a dozen tracks of verious sizes arrived on a pallet unassembled with no paper work other than bill of sale.
The electrition and I got called to machine shop where three millwrights had not been able to agree on how these puzzels went together they had several boxes of different sizes dumped out on a welding table and parts were about to start flying.
They all prefered the old bolt together metal style.
Chanel locks was the key as it gives you the leverage to snap them together.

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

Is this style still in use on the new LT70, or have all of the remote stations gone to the joysticks?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

delvis

Quote from: drobertson on October 04, 2014, 05:43:53 AM
Did not see the need, I like the simple things that work.

I like simple things that work too but that support is just not doing it for me.  I think we can use a piece of channel iron that lays on one of the bed rails with a pin through the off bearing side to hold it in place when we are travelling.  It would pop on and off in seconds and work as well or better then the factory support. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

terrifictimbersllc

I don't get it.   In the travel mode, I use the yellow metal support plate that one screws onto the top rail, it goes under the cat track, with a rubber bungee over the track around to the plate.  It supports the track fine in travel,  and has never caused any problems.   And I've added in my track three 1/0 welding cables for carrying positive and ground from the head to hydraulic box ("hydraulics everywhere" modification), which makes it heavier. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scully

I don't realy care for the stock track support . It is kind of a pain in the butt to use . It is a good idea to use it though because while travleing the track bounces and this will really speed up ware and may even cause wire damage . I have a few ideas on how to do it better but my welding machine is down so it's on the back burner .  As for the positive lead mod ,that will be comeing very soon ! I am about done with short leash hydraulics !
I bleed orange  .

terrifictimbersllc

I like it because it makes me feel good when I put it on.  Means the job is over and I'm about to head home.  :) :) :)

backwoods sawyer

Dave Shepard

You can get but email corn here to Ohio, if you want.  :D We had 80' of three phase hot rail for a travelling bridge crane at one place I used to work. I think it was 480. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!