iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 170

Started by just farming, January 07, 2018, 09:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just farming

I have made the decision on the Franklin 170 grapple with winch. Now the fun starts Ha Ha.
I've contacted forestry and construction and they have or can get the parts I ask for.
I have been on farm tractors since I could walk and dirt equipment for 40+ years. The previous owner of the machine knows no more about it than I do.  Can anyone enlighten me on the controls? 2 on the right side of the seat I assume are transmission. 4 hydraulic controls on the right side of the seat I assume are grapple open/close, grapple up/down, Winch and blade being the one closest to the seat.
Also what size cable for the winch, 5/8 or 3/4?
It sure would be nice to have some sort of manual for this machine. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Mack Superliner RW613 Dump
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4
Deutz-Fahr Agroplus 87 4X4

BargeMonkey

Not quite sure on all the controls, mine was a cable machine and powershift. Depends how much cable your going to pull, I run the 5/8 swedged cable on both my skidders, if you treat cable right it lives a long time. I would look on eBay for a book, you would be amazed at what you can find sometimes.

Southside

Can you post a picture of your levers?  Assuming it's the same as mine then I can tell you what they are from a photo a lot easier than trying to write out a description of the up and down thingy by your right knee that is the blade, etc. 

X2 on the swedged cable, more expensive but worth every penny. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

just farming

The machine is supposed to be delivered Wednesday or Thursday. I'll get some pictures when it arrives. I'm sure when it gets here the list of questions will grow.
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 07, 2018, 10:43:23 PM
Not quite sure on all the controls, mine was a cable machine and powershift. Depends how much cable your going to pull, I run the 5/8 swedged cable on both my skidders, if you treat cable right it lives a long time. I would look on eBay for a book, you would be amazed at what you can find sometimes.

absolutely right on the manuals question.  Found a manual for my 20 year old case magnum and had 10 folks to choose from, only $25 vs the 600 or so from Case. 
Liking Walnut

just farming

I've been checking ebay from the time I started looking at this machine. I have made some great purchases from ebay. Everything from tracking collars for my bear hounds to a turbo for my excavator and every thing in between.
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4

Southside

I took a picture of my controls today and was going to post it - then remembered the gallery is down.  But if this helps, and is the same.  Sitting in the seat looking at your right leg you see the gear shiftier by your knee, in the middle is park and start.  She should not start unless it's in this spot, and my machines both have two start buttons that have to be pushed at the same time,  4 gears forward by pushing ahead, two back by pulling toward the grapple.  There should be a momentary contact button to the right of 4th gear.  This is your coast button which takes the transmission out of park so you can winch back to something, or roll uncontrollably down a hill if you prefer. 

So moving toward the grapple the first lever which should be pointing toward the dash is the up and down for the blade.  Next is the winch - pull it to the driver seat to free wheel the winch, push it away to wind in the winch.  The third lever is the grapple rotate, fourth is the grapple open and close, and last is the raise and lower grapple lever. 

There should be a battery disconnect switch on your machine, use it or your batteries will go dead on all Franklins, has something to do with the hydraulics.  The transmission filters need to be changed every 75 hours, they are in the engine compartment, the main hydraulic filter is 150 hour service interval.

Mechanically they are a pretty straight forward machine, holler if you have any questions. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!